Cellular phones obsolete?

Kesa

Reaction score
Question. Do you think it is viable not to have a phone in 2017? I ask this because i have not used my phone in maybe 6 months or more. Sure, i use my device for sending messages to friends and other colleagues using services such as Facebook, Skype, WeChat, Dating apps, etc but not my phone. So why do i have one?

Surely, in our point of tech sophistication we can embrace internet based services instead of relying on traditional phone services? Maybe the mobile phone is on its way out just as the landline did.

Is anyone else here not using their phones anymore? I am thinking that my new year resolution is to never use a traditional phone again and rely solely on internet based apps.

Each to their own but the primary function of my mobile 'phone is still as a 'phone and I don't see that changing any time soon.
I also use it for light browsing, reading, the occasional game, etc, but most of my 'computing' is done on a laptop or desktop.

My guess is we're at least a good few years away from 'phones becoming obsolete.

Maybe we could use an internet app phone instead of relying on a carrier.

I have a moble communications device.Also, all my calls are forwarded to my Google Voice number which allows me to get calls on any device I have access to Hangouts on.

Working in commercial property management, cell phones are very important. As a matter of fact the only mobile device I own is a company issued smart phone. Traditional cell phone service will be around for decades, minimum.

Back