Being in Hospital

Marcb

New User
Reaction score
Having just spent an unexpected week long stay in hospital after a surprise appendix explosion, I was left a little more than uncomfortable about the prospect of ever having to return to hospital...

It began quite well really with the triage nurse and doctors taking great care of me but my worries began after the operation...

I had quite a few experiences - directly to do with my care, and with the care of the other 3 in my room - that truly left me worried about the prospect of going back to hospital... especially if I'm older or more incapacitated than I was in in this instance.

I found that the nursing staff were generally uncaring and cold, medicine was not administered until almost the end of their shifts ( I was supposed to be on heavy doses of anti-biotics but I went whole shifts without anyone coming near me to change the drip) and the way some of the other patients in my room were treated and spoken to was sometimes soul shattering...
In one instance the patient in the bed across from me told the nurse his catheter was blocked and that his bed was wet but she argued with him about the catheter not working and left him lying in his own urine until 6 hours later when the next shift came in.

My own cannula had become unviable but because the nurse didn't come to see me until almost the end of the shift, she only placed a request at 6:00pm for it to be changed... however, I clearly heard her tell the incoming nurse on handover that she had asked for it to be changed at 2:30pm ( they do the handover in the room in front of the patients, presumably to avoid this type of thing?)

I'd been running a temperature on and off but that evening it sky rocketed again and at 11pm I called the nurse and asked if I would be getting my dose of anti-biotics she got all defensive and told me how busy she was etc. etc. I just said "ok, thanks" but a half hour later a doctor turned up to replace my cannula and I they put me back on the anti-biotics...

I actually lied in the end about my pain level because I just wanted to go home, when they finally removed my drain, I was dressed, packed and ready to go in 5 mins.

Reading the above I guess my biggest problem was a that I felt completely powerless and out of control... maybe that says more about me than the hospital staff though...

What are your experiences of being in hospital?

I'm sorry to hear about your appendix. I hope you are feeling better now.

Personally, I have only had to stay in the hospital once. I was in the hospital for about 5 days due to an abnormally large scrotal abscess caused by an ingrown hair. This was back in early 2008 during the short period while I was living in West Boca Raton, FL. This hospital is not the nightmare that some of the downtown hospitals have been at times in the region.

My experience was mixed. The food was absolutely horrendous without exception. The nurses were mixed, some were kind and helpful while others were obviously bored out of their minds and didn't want to be bothered. They certainly had no problem providing ample narcotic pain killers, which made me sleep a ton during my visit. I had an IV during my whole time for mainly antibiotics which meant I could not shower. I asked on multiple occasions to be able to shower and was declined. They would provide a sponge bath if I really wanted, I declined. I'm sure I was getting ripe.

My biggest problem with the whole experience was the uncomfortable nature of the visit. Fairly quickly I got used to showing doctors and nurses my "junk", but they did not seem much concerned about privacy. I'm a pretty big guy so the flimsy one size fits all hospital gown does not cover me well. They move you around the hospital in this gown with plenty of kids in the halls. Any time someone comes into the room to check, they would open the curtain and leave the door open. I don't understand what the mental block is to privacy here. It is not so much about me as it is I don't want to be exposing myself to strangers, especially kids. I wouldn't flash strangers out in public, why would I in a hospital?

Speaking of uncomfortable, I was asked a couple times if the doctors could take pictures because the size of the abscess was unusually large. The pictures were supposedly for medical literature and would not include my name, but I declined.

Marc, sorry to hear about your medical issue and experience. I haven't personally been in a hospital for 40 years, but until recently, I was taking care of my elderly mother (she is now in a nursing home) and she was constantly taking a trip to the hospitals (13 operations and untold number of falls). In the US, the hospitals vary in treatment of the patients as does Dr's care. Hospitals in my area are pretty decent, usually somewhat caring nurses and borderline Doctors. I know where some really great Doctors are in Miami Beach, but the nurses kinda suck.

I hope your recovery is a speedy and complete one.

Speaking of uncomfortable, I was asked a couple times if the doctors could take pictures because the size of the abscess was unusually large. The pictures were supposedly for medical literature and would not include my name, but I declined.
Awe man, and I was just about to google for it! :lol:

Glad you're now on the road to recovery :) I personally have never had to stay in hostpital, only day surgery and my experiences have been great. Conversly, the treatment of my grandmother at two, one public and one private, hospitals was pretty ordinary to say the least. Sadly, there isn't much you can do given that you aren't there around the clock, complaining really can make things worse.

"Redrumloa" said:
The pictures were supposedly for medical literature and would not include my name, but I declined.

Awe man, and I was just about to google for it! :lol:

th_AnimatedGIF-ROFLMOASmiley.gif

a few years ago my mother had to have an operation. fortunately she has an OUTSTANDING GP. The doctors are always emailing each other about this that or the other thing. They really have their tech savvy working.
Anyway, I HATE hospitals and I really had to control my revulsion as I visited mom - but visit OFTEN I did. and I made sure that all the nurses saw me. I wanted them to KNOW that Someone was looking out for mom. and paying attention. I do think that makes a difference.

that and the fact that my mother has a knack for making friends everywhere she goes. Generally, I found everyone pleasant and helpful. And mom is doing great, btw. But she's always taken good care of herself and it's paid off. One nurse told her she had never seen anyone with such a short medical history.

for myself, there's no flipping way I will Ever have an operation (someone coming at me with a knife is a street fight) or stay in a hospital. too damn creepy.

Lots of hospital horror stories over here too but my own experiences have been good.

I've had multiple hospital stays over the years and have always been treated as well as I could really expect.

I kinda feel guilty about posting on my experience in a negative way, my sister in law is a nurse at the same hospital I was in... :)

Thing is, I hear a lot of stuff about patients from her perspective but knwing her I also know she'd never leave someone lying in a wet bed.. So I suppose it's down to the individuals and nurses are just people...

On reflection I think that my perception of things that were going on were shaped by my need to be in control and to organize things...

We are going through a kind of crisis in Australia where we can't afford to pay nurses what they deserve but we keep throwing millions at various o/s intterests trying to secure a spot on the UN security council...

Had something done in hospital myself yesterday, staff were awesome.

Back