Amiga.org -- Should I reach out to Trevor?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Honest question here folks.

I doubt seriously I'm particularly interested in running another Amiga oriented site, but every time I look at Amiga.org these days, I almost literally cringe from the sight of it. It hasn't been updated in neigh on 10 years now and for a computer-oriented site, that obviously means death (judging by Amiga.org's membership and online numbers)...

Having tinkered with this, and salemspectator.com for years, I am now pondering whether I should reach out to Trevor and make the olive branch offer to move them from the 10-year-old version of vBulletin they're on to Xenforo. It'll piss off a few purists, but might actually improve the readership of the site.

Looking page-by-page, it looks like 99% of the addons (like the classifieds, etc) are abandoned anyway.

I'm not offering to run anything, or to take anything over. Just to let Trevor buy the software and theme and let me handle an upgrade for him to Xenforo...

What do you think?

Wayne

wow, I just looked and it's tired over there

that's very generous of you to help them out...only do it if you want to for the fun of it

That is one of the reasons I left. The new owner and previous were either absentee landlords (at times playing mind games) or too into themselves. Basically, my feeling is the owners since you sold it think that it will run itself while they sit back and promote their business or self.
I'd say let it rot, as sad as that is. I don't think you'll get a positive responce. Though it couldn't hurt to ask, they might actually say "yes".

Presuming Trevor is 'amigakit', I reached out this morning and offered to upgrade the site for him if he's willing to pay for the software licenses (to keep them in his name anyway)... Took me 15 freakin minutes to figure out how to find him to leave a PM... Yes, 2008 Xoops sucks that much...

My thought is to use Xenforo and this theme, but maybe not go crazy with the backgrounds and such. Make it much more traditional, like splitting the looks of this site with salemspectator.com... Something that looks and works like it was created in this millenium... :)

All I can do, having made the offer, is hope he accepts for the good of the remaining community...

I'm still astonished that the only parts of that site even remotely active are the forums and gallery, but that's ok... Kinda understandable since no one's been "driving the bus" since I sold it all those years ago...

Wayne

Just for giggles, I've created a new theme called "AO Demo" to play around with what I could do with an Amiga.org upgrade. I'm open to ideas (please?)

You can reach it by scrolling down to the bottom of this page, then clicking "Whyzzat 2" (our theme) and selecting "AO Demo" from the resulting popup... I'm on the search for an appropriate blue wallpaper background to use, along with a transparent AO logo (preferably PNG) that I might be able to demonstrate to Trevor if he's at all interested...

Wayne

I'm interested to see what if any the reply is. Will check out the theme.

Hey, I found this old hornet's nest on the ground... I'll just offer to help hang it back up. There is absolutely no potential for disaster, here. :D

Hey, I found this old hornet's nest on the ground...
Good analogy... I just can't help but sometimes find myself reminiscing back to "the good ol' days". Even with all the drama that was, creating, guiding, and running Amiga.org was still a great time in my life. I just wish I could give a flip about the 30-year-old platform, or that someone would come along still and "Apple-ize" it (take it to commodity PCs)...

Wayne

So, I got a reply back which was ostensibly a "no thanks". I'm curious as to whether they may already have something in the works, but I have no idea... I can only hope they don't intend to ride AO down too much further before doing SOMETHING...

Yup, figured that would be the reply. It ain't broke, don't fix it. So they seem to think, I'm guessing.

Yup, figured that would be the reply. It ain't broke, don't fix it.
I am happy to give them the benefit of doubt. Surely they're working on something. The thing I really don't get is the "why is it taking years when I could have done it in a weekend?"

Some people like change more than other people. If you are catering to a bunch of guys still using machines discontinued in 1996, what kind of people do you think that audience is?

Some people like change more than other people. If you are catering to a bunch of guys still using machines discontinued in 1996, what kind of people do you think that audience is?
A very good point sir... :)

I understand the fascination with stuff like the Amiga, even today. My twists however seem to be a bit more modern-geeky as I tend to bleed from the very edge of my wallets' limitations.

Back