A Retro Portable done right - The ZX Spectrum Vega+

the_leander

Reaction score
ZX Spectrum Vega+ hands-on review

The past is the future, and we've seen it, and it's flipping gorgeous.

Read on..

I really can't get into these handhelds. There's supposed one in the works for the C64 too. I just don't see the big improvement over something like a GP32X with an emulator. Now a new actual computer does excite me. OTOH I am watching Mega65 closely, which is kindo-of an expanded remake Commodore 65 (yes 65).

01.jpg

I just don't see the big improvement over something like a GP32X with an emulator.

It being produced currently would be my best guess. Last I checked the GP32X had ceased production.

Beyond that I agree with the sentiment.

Still, as a former owner (and destroyer) of the rubber keyed beastie, this project does sing to me in ways that a multi platform device like the GP32X never could.

Sinclair's little device was my first computer and nothing is ever going to top that first look of wonder as a game loaded up - suddenly the television wasn't just something I watched passively, I now had full control of it!

Now a new actual computer does excite me. OTOH I am watching Mega65 closely, which is kindo-of an expanded remake Commodore 65 (yes 65).

Ok, colour me impressed! Nice to see niche projects like this still being produced. Thanks for the heads up!

I really can't get into these handhelds. There's supposed one in the works for the C64 too. I just don't see the big improvement over something like a GP32X with an emulator. Now a new actual computer does excite me. OTOH I am watching Mega65 closely, which is kindo-of an expanded remake Commodore 65 (yes 65).

01.jpg

Cool stuff. But it looks like a nexys4 ddr board is about $400 right now. ouchie. I do think I'll hold off a bit on that. I think I like that it exists more than I actually want one, at this point.

Back