1984 was not written as a "how to" manual

The point here, like I stated, is you have children force indoctrinated into a belief system by the government.
Are they? Or are they just educated? People differ on that point on a whole raft of subjects and it remains a matter of opinion. Children are generally less critical than adults. I'm sure a lot of them are just happy not to be in class. However, could you remind me how they are harmed if the science is wrong? Is it a better harm than how they are harmed if the science is correct?

Despite the title of this video, it is 100% about 1984.

Couldn't get past three and a half minutes. The irony was too much.
Is the irony in that we shouldn't be prosecuted for making jokes or is the irony in that making a joke saying you would not do something is the same as making a joke about why some people should do something?

Last edited:
nxeqww3g6t431.jpg

if someone 'milkshaked' her while yelling "it's only battery acid"...would she laugh at the joke?

Is the irony in that we shouldn't be prosecuted for making jokes or is the irony in that making a joke saying you would not do something is the same as making a joke about why some people should do something?

Neither.
Rather, the irony of the presenter using a comedian's "offensive" joke to invoke 1984 and compare such comedians to members of "the outer party", in a climate where comedians are losing their jobs* over "offensive" jokes.
And all whilst posing in front of prominent emblems of nationalism.
1984 indeed.

* it remains to be seen whether Jo Brand will lose her job but Danny Baker recently lost his due to similar witch-hunty outrage.

* it remains to be seen whether Jo Brand will lose her job but Danny Baker recently lost his due to similar witch-hunty outrage.

As metalman linked above:

Jo Brand to face no action over acid joke, police say

So let me get this straight, you do not see any double standard at play whatsoever? Count Dankula got arrested, charged and convicted for teaching his dog off color tricks, but joking about throwing battery acid on someone instead of a milkshake is OK? Knowing milkshakes are already being thrown on political opponents? I don't know about the UK, but in the US throwing a milkshake on someone is assault, a chargeable offense.

Her statements could certainly be seen an incitement of violence.I wonder how you will feel when the first time a politician or prominent figurehead gets disfigured in an acid attack. I mean, acid attacks happen all over the UK already. Must be really funny.

Oxford 'acid' attack: Man, 42, suffers burns after being ambushed in public toilet
Acid attack victim Adele Bellis slams Jo Brand for Nigel Farage ‘joke’ and poor apology
'Jo Brand's "vile" acid attack 'joke' made me relive my ordeal all over again'
Sister of murdered politician Jo Cox slams Jo Brand's acid attack comment

Unless of course you are trying to make the moral equivalency between Carl “Sargon of Akkad” Benjamin's own joke and Jo Brand. I really hope you didn't fall for that hoax and actually researched what he said. Unlike how your news reported it, he never threatened to rape anyone. He joked that he would never do it. Off color? Yes. A threat? Come on man... One person is joking about doing something that maims lots of people per year in the UK and could be seen as an incitement of such violence. No one was EVER in the history of the world a victim of NOT being raped.

Last edited:
Neither.
Rather, the irony of the presenter using a comedian's "offensive" joke to invoke 1984 and compare such comedians to members of "the outer party", in a climate where comedians are losing their jobs* over "offensive" jokes.
What do you know of Emmanuel Goldstein beyond what the media have told you?

Let me summarise the bits you didn't watch (and some of what you did but mis-heard.
He was not comparing Jo Brand to members of the "outer party" - he said that Jo Brand was participating in "two-minute hating" because she lives in the same media sea as the general party. She is merely attacking the approved targets.

On the subject of the substance of the joke itself, Karl and Farage and others have had milkshake (and other things) thrown at them partly because of what they feel is tacit media incitement to do so based on the fact that it seems to be held to be laudable or even heroic to do so. In this environment where people seem to take these suggestions as calls to action, adding battery acid to the mix (edgy as it may seem) is possibly quite dangerous to them - and could feel like a threat to shut them up. Acid attacks already happen. Would it have been a good joke to say something like - why just shout and wave signs at pro-EU politicians when you could just shoot them - not that I would, but yelling is pathetic? It is interesting to consider in what sort of state of indoctrination you would need to be to think that would be funny. It is the same sort of joke but, I propose, you would have to dehumanise and hate pro-EU politicians before it could be chuckle-worthy.

Karl, as you probably know, tweeted that he would not rape Jess Philips at a time when she was saying she was facing rape threats. Of all the supposed rape related tweets she received it is interesting that the tweet we hear so much about is a tweet which didn't reach her and is the opposite of a rape threat. All of the "actual" threatening tweets are not important but this ironic one is, for some reason.

As one of many people who have been harassed and investigated over a joke, he says outright that he doesn't think Jo should be under investigation for a joke, nor should anybody. That is a fundamental part of his free speech position.

That finishes the contents of the as to how it relates to Jo Brand. As far as I am concerned it seems to be a real phenomenon that the comedians are being stomped on and this has happened before - comedians have license to say things that others cannot and some of those things need to be said, but they are not the canary in the coal mine - they are one of the last bastions of dissent. When the jester hangs the tyranny of the throne is unchecked. The Emperor walks naked and anyone who says so is a traitor and will be punished. Karl doesn't think Jo should lose her job and he didn't think Danny should have lost his job. He just thinks that the comedians who think they are safe because they toe the line shouldn't feel so safe - but should take a position to defend the telling of jokes for all.

Probably the best thread for this. Kyle is a Parkland Survivor. What he did is not unusual for teens trying to be edgelords. His real crime is he is Parkland survivor that does not push the narrative of repealing the 2nd Amendment. Longish article, but should be read by anyone who was ever an edgy teen, or knew any edgy teens.

Harvard Rescinds Admission To Conservative Kyle Kashuv Over Private Racist Remarks He Wrote At 16, Despite Apology And Evidence Of Growth. This Is Disgusting.

As far as his Harvard qualifications, they weren’t based on his activism. Kashuv was ranked second in his class, with a weighted GPA of 5.345 and an unweighted GPA of 3.9; he scored a 1550 on his SATs. But Kashuv’s activism has been impressive nonetheless: he has worked consistently across the aisle to bring about school safety measures to protect other high schoolers, and that his terrible comments were written before the life-changing event the mass shooting at Parkland represented.

Kashuv’s comments were originally surfaced by fellow students who oppose him politically, in an overt attempt to damage him. Kashuv did the right thing and issued an immediate apology:

How dare you question the current truth!

.. you did but mis-heard.
He was not comparing Jo Brand to members of the "outer party" - he said that Jo Brand was participating in "two-minute hating" because she lives in the same media sea as the general party.

Not in the first three and a half minutes he didn't. I've just listened to them again and from that portion it stills sounds like he is comparing Brand to an "outer-party member".
He may have clarified later, in which case I have mis-interpreted his eventual meaning but I didn't mis-hear and stand by my initial impression of the opening few minutes; irony overload.

On the subject of the substance of the joke itself, Karl and Farage and others have had milkshake (and other things) thrown at them partly because of what they feel is tacit media incitement to do so based on the fact that it seems to be held to be laudable or even heroic to do so.

I'm aware of this idiotic and potentially dangerous fad.
Nothing laudable or heroic about it and it's completely counter-productive anyway.
Does anyone really think throwing milkshake over someone they disagree with will bring a single person around to their point of view?
If they do, they're even more idiotic than they appear.
It's beyond stupid and, indeed, some nutter might hear Jo Brand's bad joke and decide to use battery acid or something worse.
So I can see why it's problematic.
Nonetheless, the hyperbole around it is ridiculous in my opinion.

-EDIT-
The Farage incident is in the news today:
Appearing at North Shields magistrates court, Crowther pleaded guilty to common assault and causing criminal damage to a £239 lapel microphone on Farage’s suit.
The district judge Bernard Begley ordered him to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £350 in compensation to Farage.
Crowther was dismissed from his job and threats were made to a dog charity where he volunteered, the court heard.
His lawyer added that there was a tradition dating back “hundreds if not thousands of years” of throwing food aimed at embarrassing politicians, although the items may have changed from fish, to fruit, to eggs and on to milkshakes.

As an aside, something I find curious about the whole situation is that the original victim, Tommy Robinson, seems to be able to go around also throwing drinks over people before violently punching them to the ground with not much more fuss made than over the comparatively benign milkshake throwing.
On the contrary, many of his supporters who are getting so hysterical about milkshake throwing seem to have no problem whatsoever with their hero perpetrating actual violence.
Is it because Tommy is attacking the "approved targets"? (In the latest incident, an England football fan who apparently called him a fascist.)

Would it have been a good joke to say something like - why just shout and wave signs at pro-EU politicians when you could just shoot them - not that I would, but yelling is pathetic?
It is interesting to consider in what sort of state of indoctrination you would need to be to think that would be funny.
It is the same sort of joke but, I propose, you would have to dehumanise and hate pro-EU politicians before it could be chuckle-worthy.

Not to my comedic taste but then neither is Jo Brand (nor Danny Baker for that matter).
And we've already seen a pro-EU politician shot dead in the UK.
At the time, you didn't seem to think it had anything to do with indoctrination or dehumanisation and were instead peddling the somewhat predictable "very convenient for the anti-Brexit side," false-flag angle.

Karl, as you probably know, tweeted that he would not rape Jess Philips at a time when she was saying she was facing rape threats.

No, I didn't. I don't know who Karl is.
The story itself rings a vague bell but I had no idea that was who the presenter of the video was.
If he lost his job because of said joke, that's also ridiculous.
But he's not someone I've watched before, nor likely to again.

As one of many people who have been harassed and investigated over a joke, he says outright that he doesn't think Jo should be under investigation for a joke, nor should anybody.

Good on him.
However, she was investigated, has been harassed, has had to issue an apology and may yet lose her job.
Perhaps those targets weren't quite as "correct" as is being made out.

As far as I am concerned it seems to be a real phenomenon that the comedians are being stomped on and this has happened before -

Indeed, it has been going on for as long as I can remember but seems to have been ramped up in the last few years with almost everyone seemingly offended by almost everything.

Karl doesn't think Jo should lose her job and he didn't think Danny should have lost his job. He just thinks that the comedians who think they are safe because they toe the line shouldn't feel so safe - but should take a position to defend the telling of jokes for all.

Well, there's something I hope we can all agree on.

Last edited:
No, I didn't. I don't know who Karl is.
The story itself rings a vague bell but I had no idea that was who the presenter of the video was.
If he lost his job because of said joke, that's also ridiculous.

Carl Benjamin

Political career
In March 2018, North London Antifa protesters broke into a scheduled discussion between Benjamin and Yaron Brook by King's College London's Libertarian Society at the school. Masked protestors attacked security guards, set off smoke bombs, broke windows and allegedly attacked other attendees. The event organisers called the police, cancelled the event and evacuated the building. The organiser reported that two security guards were hospitalised.[21][22]

In June 2018, Benjamin joined UKIP, along with other social media activists Mark Meechan and Paul Joseph Watson.[23] The trio's membership has been described by political analysts as part of a shift to the far-right in the UKIP under Gerard Batten's leadership.[23][24][25][26] In the European Parliament's 2019 elections in the United Kingdom, Benjamin was second on UKIP's list for the South West England constituency.[27][28] Benjamin was not elected, with his party getting only 3.22% of the vote in his native South West England constituency (a drop of 29.1% from 2014) and losing both of its seats in the region, as well as all twenty-two of its seats across the rest of Britain.[29]

YouTube information
Also known as
Sargon of Akkad
Channel
Years active 2013–present
Subscribers
  • Sargon of Akkad: 961,300+
  • The Thinkery: 420,800+
  • Sargon of Akkad Live: 168,000+
  • Ancient Recitations: 78,800+
  • (as of 06 June 2019)
Total views
  • Sargon of Akkad: 293,330,000+
  • The Thinkery: 114,410,000+
  • Sargon of Akkad Live: 24,650,000+
  • Ancient Recitations: 6,265,000+
  • (as of 06 June 2019)

Carl Benjamin

Political career
In March 2018, North London Antifa protesters broke into a scheduled discussion between Benjamin and Yaron Brook by King's College London's Libertarian Society at the school. Masked protestors attacked security guards, set off smoke bombs, broke windows and allegedly attacked other attendees. The event organisers called the police, cancelled the event and evacuated the building. The organiser reported that two security guards were hospitalised.[21][22]

In June 2018, Benjamin joined UKIP, along with other social media activists Mark Meechan and Paul Joseph Watson.[23] The trio's membership has been described by political analysts as part of a shift to the far-right in the UKIP under Gerard Batten's leadership.[23][24][25][26] In the European Parliament's 2019 elections in the United Kingdom, Benjamin was second on UKIP's list for the South West England constituency.[27][28] Benjamin was not elected, with his party getting only 3.22% of the vote in his native South West England constituency (a drop of 29.1% from 2014) and losing both of its seats in the region, as well as all twenty-two of its seats across the rest of Britain.[29]

YouTube information
Also known as
Sargon of Akkad
Channel
Years active 2013–present
Subscribers
  • Sargon of Akkad: 961,300+
  • The Thinkery: 420,800+
  • Sargon of Akkad Live: 168,000+
  • Ancient Recitations: 78,800+
  • (as of 06 June 2019)
Total views
  • Sargon of Akkad: 293,330,000+
  • The Thinkery: 114,410,000+
  • Sargon of Akkad Live: 24,650,000+
  • Ancient Recitations: 6,265,000+
  • (as of 06 June 2019)
So, he's a popular internet vlogger who named himself after an ancient ruler of a middle-eastern kingdom and ran unsuccessfully in an election for post-Farage UKIP?
OK.
I'm not sure what any of that is supposed to say to me about him but thanks anyway.

So, he's a popular internet vlogger who named himself after an ancient ruler of a middle-eastern kingdom and ran unsuccessfully in an election for post-Farage UKIP?
OK.
I'm not sure what any of that is supposed to say to me about him but thanks anyway.

His channels are closing in on half billion views, and approaching 2M subscribers. He is prominent enough to have a terrorist attack carried out at a speaking event he was involved in. If your country keeps going down the lunacy hole, expect people like him to continue to gain influence to the point he may be a viable candidate one day.

Just remember, Trump used to be laughed of as "just some reality show guy".

Last edited:
If your country keeps going down the lunacy hole, expect people like him to continue to gain influence to the point he may be a viable candidate one day.

Looks to me like he already is a viable candidate. He just needs to stand for the right party. UKIP is a busted flush.

From the few minutes I've seen of him, he seems to have the right mixture of good diction, nationalistic imagery, hyperbole and tub-thumpy lack of self-awareness that tories tend to go for so he'd probably make a good Conservative party candidate.
Stand in a safe Tory seat and he'd be a shoo-in:
Sargon of Akkad, the honourable Conservative member of parliament for North East Hampshire.

Has nice ring to it, I have to admit.

Looks to me like he already is a viable candidate. He just needs to stand for the right party. UKIP is a busted flush.

From the few minutes I've seen of him, he seems to have the right mixture of good diction, nationalistic imagery, hyperbole and tub-thumpy lack of self-awareness that tories tend to go for so he'd probably make a good Conservative party candidate.
Stand in a safe Tory seat and he'd be a shoo-in:
Sargon of Akkad, the honourable Conservative member of parliament for North East Hampshire.

Has nice ring to it, I have to admit.

I don't 100% agree with the assessment, but that was good and humorous.

-Edit-
BTW, he calls himself a classical liberal, not a conservative. He claims he has not changed, the parties have all shifted left. Count Dankula (Mark Meechan) also joined UKip, and he has a hammer and sickle tattoo on his chest. They, along with others like Paul Joseph Watson, took the shell of the UKip Party and turned it into the free speech party. Their primary platform was Free Speech.

Last edited:
Back