Wayne, how about an international news feed?

redrumloa

Reaction score
We seem to have a few feeds mainly giving duplicate news and all US. How about axing a news feed and replacing with an international one? This way we can here about how bad other countries are, not just the US;)

Also, let's not manually move news into the fora until it has a reply from a user.

@Wayne:

Any way to auto-move news into the fora once a user comments?

I like this idea better myself if Wayne could make it happen. Will you guys actually look at the news down below?

I like this idea better myself if Wayne could make it happen. Will you guys actually look at the news down below?

I already do occasionally but I'd pay a lot more attention if it worked that way.

Btw, why not news headlines on the right side of the screen, under media? It'll be more in your face, and you have more space to scroll down :

There's no way to "auto-move once someone replies". My best suggestion would simply be to not display news items AT ALL as news items, rather just use the news aggregator to find interesting stuff to talk about.

As for an international feed, I really don't have any objections to whatever news you guys want to bring in, but aside from things like the BBC, I don't have a lot of interest in shit like Al Jezeera (sp?) or other type skewed news.

Ideally, I had hoped to use the news items as just a way to find/post interesting topics for the site. It doesn't appear to be working as well as planned, and that's partially my fault because I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to things recently. As such, Jim, Lee, and Karl have been great at trying to weed through the incoming news for tidbits (though Jim seems to think everything from Floriduh is interesting :) )

Anyway, the question remains, and I leave it to you all, ax the strict news display in favor of simply "making live" interesting topics by moving them from the news feeds into the forums?

Wayne

Btw, why not news headlines on the right side of the screen, under media? It'll be more in your face, and you have more space to scroll down :
Because some people (about 50%, including me) *highly* prefer the normal-width site (as opposed to the full width) so there's not a lot of room for doing that.

Otherwise, I'd just consider making the front page 100% width and 3 columns, 40/40/20.

BTW, just to say it, the news feeds were NEVER intended to replace your own input and thread ideas, simply to augment them with stuff you might not otherwise see.

BTW, just to say it, the news feeds were NEVER intended to replace your own input and thread ideas, simply to augment them with stuff you might not otherwise see.

I think the news feeds are a net positive and I don't think it replaced individual threads? Does anyone think that?

There's no way to "auto-move once someone replies".

Pah! Ach, well. Can't have everything, I suppose. :)

As for an international feed, I really don't have any objections to whatever news you guys want to bring in, but aside from things like the BBC, I don't have a lot of interest in shit like Al Jezeera (sp?) or other type skewed news.

It's all skewed, BBC included. (or maybe that should be 'in particular'?)
Ever since the David Kelly affair they've been so far up the government's arse you can barely make out their feet.
And some of their recent riot reporting was laughable.
*And* they've tacitly admitted a pro-Israeli bias.
*And*... sorry, I'll shut up about the BBC - anyway, you get the picture.

I actually think it would be interesting to have a bit of a spectrum.
Maybe from Fox, through CNN, via BBC and AlJazeera to TRNN? (or something)

You'd then be able to see the different 'skews' a bit more easily. Might make for some debate in and of itself.

Just a thought.

BBC isn't exactly objective. AlJazeera is pretty good actually but shouldn't be taken on it's own. There should be a variety of countries outlets represented. You'll often find the US mainstream outlets pretty much in lock step so you don't need too many of them (even Fox isn't that far outside what the rest report). The BBC is definately in the NATO / Anglo-US-Israel sphere.

But if AlJazeera is shit skewed news, so is BBC. But perhaps you just mean differently skewed news.

Back