To our Whyzzat friends in Detriot, I feel your pain.

redrumloa

Reaction score
The Detriot Lions are looking down the gun at an 0-16 season. They are 0-13 and appear to be a lock for the very first 0-16 ever. 0-16 has never been done, they would be seen as the worst football team of all time, worse than the 0-14 1976 Bucs. The Lions look to be a lock, they really look bad.

I feel for you, seriously. At this point last year the Dolphins were 0-13 and the same talk was being said about them. Luckily they squeaked out an overtime win in game 14 to go 1-15. It really sucks to root for a team and see them become so completely run into the ground. I don't wish 0-16 on you, here's hoping they squeak out a win next Sunday..

Silly games...
I thought you were referring to the main car industry woes...
I mean, I feared GM was bankrupt or something like that...

I don't wish 0-16 on you, here's hoping they squeak out a win next Sunday..

I think this city is actually rooting for them to go 0-16. The team has been so laughably bad for so long.... History should indeed record how truly pathetic the Lions are. The perfect 0-16 is a mark that could never be taken away from them.

In other news, the best joke I heard was that the $9B line of credit Ford Mo Co asked for should have a condition forcing Bill Ford Sr. to sell the Lions. :lol: I don't think you'd actually get enough for them to cover the losses on one of the 2008 model year F-150's still sitting in a dealer lot, though.

Speelgoedmannetje said:
Silly games...

Look up, this is in the "Sports" forum.

I've been beating the economy sucks drum for a long time, taking a break to talk sports can't hurt.

redrumloa said:
Speelgoedmannetje said:
Silly games...

Look up, this is in the "Sports" forum.
Ja my bad :oops: sorry
I've been beating the economy sucks drum for a long time, taking a break to talk sports can't hurt.
Well, that was partially why I expected bad news on the car manufacturing front....
And the title was a bit dramatic, so I really didn't expect any entertainment...

ilwrath said:
I think this city is actually rooting for them to go 0-16. The team has been so laughably bad for so long.... History should indeed record how truly pathetic the Lions are. The perfect 0-16 is a mark that could never be taken away from them.

I'm glad you can look at it that way. It was gut wrenching as a Dolphins fan last year. The Dolphins hold the winningest record of all time, the only team to have a perfect season (1972) and 5 Super Bowl appearances, with 2 wins. To grow up watching this proud franchise and to see them fall to almost a historic patheticness was hard.

I hope everyone takes the view you are taking, there could be some lighthearted humor to poke at the Lions. Like.. Will the final game of the season that puts them over to 0-16 get bumped up to prime time? I mean it is historic, right? Would the 1976 Bucs crack open a bottle of champagne if the Lions win this week, preserving the Bucs winless (0-14) record?

In other news, the best joke I heard was that the $9B line of credit Ford Mo Co asked for should have a condition forcing Bill Ford Sr. to sell the Lions. :lol: I don't think you'd actually get enough for them to cover the losses on one of the 2008 model year F-150's still sitting in a dealer lot, though.

Well, I just read the recession is hitting the NFL as they just had layoffs in front office personel. But that would be for another thread.

To grow up watching this proud franchise and to see them fall to almost a historic patheticness was hard.

Yeah, where as me, and well, everyone under 50 or so, grew up watching the Lions do pretty much nothing but lose.

We get a perverse joy in watching the mental faculties of each new coaching staff deteriorate as they gain a grasp on exactly the depth of fail within the organization. It always ends with a hilarious breakdown... Whether it's an assistant coach who tries to order some food from Wendy's naked, or a classic press conference with (then head coach) Bobby Ross (who, in hindsight, I honestly believe WAS a good coach)... Keep in mind, Bobby Ross was several coaches ago... And before that we had some great meltdowns like Wayne Fontes, suing the Lions for destroying his career (seriously, he did!).

The Lions have a long and proud history of not winning, and driving the coaches mad doing it. Not winning is one of the few things the Lions do well.

PS: Follow that Bobby Ross link and scroll down past the box score, though... That is a transcript of the best press conference EVER!

In the final death throes of the worst NFL season ever.... William Clay Ford Sr. announces sweeping changes within the organization. Well, ok, maybe not so much...

Just when everyone thought the Lions were immune from further management malfunctioning, Ford announced there would be no radical front-office housecleaning.

It was a vintage Ford moment -- making a decision without really making a decision. He said that the two-headed interim executive monster he created following Matt Millen's long overdue dismissal -- chief operating officer Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew -- would remain with the organization, although he didn't specify their responsibilities in a new power structure.

Ford said he would seek another football executive but wasn't sure who would answer to whom.

And you're still wondering why they've won only one playoff game in 51 years?

...And the Lions have drawn up a new logo and, as predicted, drafted a QB (yet again) with their 1st pick.

For the record, let's look back at the Lions last 3 previous 1st round QB picks:
2002 - Joey Harrington
1990 - Andre Ware
1986 - Chuck Long (Hey, at least he had a good name...)

:whack:
Poor Matt... That is the type of career he has to look forward to.

Joey Harrington was a Dolphin for a year. He's a good guy, but not a starting QB. It was nice to see him beat Detroit on Thanksgiving that year. Well, nice for a Dolphin's fan.

Joey Harrington was a Dolphin for a year. He's a good guy, but not a starting QB.

That's kinda my point. Stafford reminds me of Joey. Joey's a good guy, and, honestly, had/has a strong arm. He had all the raw skill and strength to become a starting QB. Ware and Long looked good at the time, too. Problem was, they all were thrown into the Lions "system". Under those conditions, no one can ever develop into anything resembling what a first round pick QB should.

That same "system" is going to have its way with Mr. Stafford, now.

The Lions need some veterans that understand how to win. The entire roster is constantly filled with rookies and consistent losers. The only thing the rookies learn is how to lose. Hence refreshing the stock of consistent losers to continue the process.

Detroit really needs someone like Bill Parcels and they need to give him complete control. The 2007 Dolphins were one play away from beating Detriot to the punch becoming the first team to go 0-16. Parcel came in, was able to buy all his own groceries and produced the greatest 1 year turnaround in NFL history. The 2008 Dolphins went 11-5, won the division and made the playoffs.

Detriot needs a new owner I guess, one who would be willing to make such a bold move :oops:

Who cares about football? The Detroit Red Wings are doing great! :)

Glaucus said:
Who cares about football? The Detroit Red Wings are doing great! :)

pfft!!! NFL = sports

There are no other sports :wink:

Back