The #RESISTANCE

Anti-Trump course at Butler University offers 'strategies for resistance'

Students paying roughly $36,000 per year in tuition at Butler University have signed up for a “Special Topics” class titled “Trumpism & U.S. Democracy.” The course, which begins in August and runs until December, explicitly charges the Republican with “perpetuating sexism, white supremacy, xenophobia, nationalism, nativism, and imperialism.”

“This course explores why and how this happened, how Trump’s rhetoric is contrary to the foundation of the U.S. democracy, and what his win means for the future,”

“The Resistance” — a youtube series began last September as “The Closer”: six- or seven-minute monologues, written and performed by Olbermann and posted twice a week, on YouTube, the web and social media, by GQ magazine. It was expected to end after Election Day, but Trump’s win changed that. On Nov. 16, one week after Hillary Clinton conceded the election, Olbermann sat down at the desk of a spartan set constructed mostly of blankets, inside a cavernous photo studio on the 24th floor of 1 World Trade Center, and declared war on Donald Trump. “Since no Democratic or liberal politician has yet stepped forward out of the morass of Politics Inc. to take on the responsibility of the resistance,” he said, “I, with complete awareness of the presumptuousness and arrogance of this statement, volunteer myself.”

In the weeks since Trump’s election, the humor and levity has vanished and the show narrowed its focus to a single mission: to end Trump’s presidency and see him “on a boat headed to the Cayman Islands.” According to “The Resistance,” the United States has suffered a “bloodless coup” and is “no longer a democracy”; the president is a “Manchurian candidate” who is “mentally ill” and beholden to “Russian scum”; we are witnessing the steady reduction of “the chance that we will have any future elections”; and Olbermann, the show’s tireless hero, will not rest until this problem is solved.

Youtube: The Resistance with Keith Olbermann

Before Trump was Olbermann’s nemesis, Trump was Olbermann’s landlord. In 2007, Olbermann bought a condo in Trump Palace on the Upper East Side for $4.2 million, and he says Trump checked in to make sure he liked the apartment. “I saw him there at least once,” Olbermann says. “And I got a fan letter from him once.”

Last edited:
C_qeBczXcAQ855a.jpg

How an FBI raid fed a rumor that Orrin Hatch was about to become president

Back