The religion of peace?

bullshit.jpg

Oh what a peaceful world it has been!

With peaceful atheists like Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, Nicolea Ceausescu, Vladimir Lenin, Benito Mussolini, leading the way to "peace on earth"!

They did make an determined effort to kill everyone who disagreed with them, which is an historically proven method to achieve "peace on earth"

atheists raise as good if not better families

Or sometimes no families.
The "plenty enough people on this rock already" argument is a lot easier to accept if you don't submit to the "go forth and multiply" pish.
(Although dealing with the good lady's "biological clock" instincts is a whole other bundle of badgers.)

Or sometimes no families.

Which evolutionarily speaking is a problem, but also the reason for the success of "go forth and multiply" philosophies. You can't get rid of those types without having more go forth and multiply atheists.The next step in the problem is - once everyone's multiplied, who is more willing to kill the other side? Strike two. Hence, religion wins because it is more adaptive.

Which evolutionarily speaking is a problem, but also the reason for the success of "go forth and multiply" philosophies. You can't get rid of those types without having more go forth and multiply atheists.The next step in the problem is - once everyone's multiplied, who is more willing to kill the other side? Strike two. Hence, religion wins because it is more adaptive.
you don't have to give birth to atheists to make more of them...you have to spread around EDUCATION.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov

and most importantly, educate girls. When girls see they have options they delay having children, have fewer children and sometimes have none.

you don't have to give birth to atheists to make more of them...you have to spread around EDUCATION.
That is true if two other things are true.

Upbringing and indoctrination in the home can be overcome.
Propensity to cling to these beliefs has no genetic component.

I think in reality how intractable the first point is depends upon the second to some degree. Either way, if you allow people to be raised religiously, with all of the mental gymnastics built into all successful religions by which they defend themselves against rational thought, you will have a hard time educating them over to non-religion. Similarly, but more so, if you raise children rationally, it is unlikely that they will ever adopt the crazy ideas of religionists - unless they are genetically predisposed to do so.

Because childhood environment is so important in setting lifelong beliefs and since that environment is heavily influenced by the parents, unless you are advocating a secular state that takes kids out of their homes to prevent them from getting religion in the first place (which is a terrible idea and a terrible example to set), then pinning all your hopes on education after the fact is great if you are willing to put all that investment into other people's children but doesn't address the genetic make up of the population - i.e. if there is a genetic susceptibility to religion, the population will remain vulnerable to re-religiousication.

That is true if two other things are true.

Upbringing and indoctrination in the home can be overcome.
Propensity to cling to these beliefs has no genetic component.

I think in reality how intractable the first point is depends upon the second to some degree. Either way, if you allow people to be raised religiously, with all of the mental gymnastics built into all successful religions by which they defend themselves against rational thought, you will have a hard time educating them over to non-religion. Similarly, but more so, if you raise children rationally, it is unlikely that they will ever adopt the crazy ideas of religionists - unless they are genetically predisposed to do so.

Because childhood environment is so important in setting lifelong beliefs and since that environment is heavily influenced by the parents, unless you are advocating a secular state that takes kids out of their homes to prevent them from getting religion in the first place (which is a terrible idea and a terrible example to set), then pinning all your hopes on education after the fact is great if you are willing to put all that investment into other people's children but doesn't address the genetic make up of the population - i.e. if there is a genetic susceptibility to religion, the population will remain vulnerable to re-religiousication.

well, I'm speaking now as someone who grew up in a home that respected and insisted on everyone in the family getting an education. And being told that I could be whatever I wanted to be.

AND by people who were Catholic.

Both my brother and myself are atheist...although when we were kids I didn't know that word so my brother just said we were "heathens"...har har

I didn't buy into the religion from the start. It's just seemed irrational. And mean spirited.

So, it's clear that I have no genetic predisposition for religion.

Having a common sense view of the world is just the way members of my family are. Yes, there's a smattering of superstition which would pop out every once in a while. And I would always find it jarring considering how rational they were. I just figured they had their little quirks and leave it at that.

I don't think most people are evangelical religious wackos. Those people just make a LOT of noise.

I feel most people just want to live their lives in peace and take religion as just part of culture. When it's christmas you take out the tree and decorate it.....and so on.

What I have noticed is that the families that are insane on the topic of religion also don't respect education....those are the people that think creationism is ok to "teach". These people home school / indoctrinate their kids with the expectation of them getting jobs at the local gas station.

That's not what I consider a real education. A real education means you know you have choices in your life and you have the tools to make those choices.

In 2013 there were about a dozen gun deaths from toddlers, under 7. As we are born atheist Metalman might want to count those along the the 3 from an atheist.

FBI finds 6% of terrorist attacks are Muslims the majority were Christians.

Muslims are 2% of US population

6% of US terrorism / 2% of US population = 300% more likely to commit a terrorist attack

In 2013 there were about a dozen gun deaths from toddlers, under 7. As we are born atheist Metalman might want to count those along the the 3 from an atheist.

sociopaths = atheist nihilists

FBI finds 6% of terrorist attacks are Muslims the majority were Christians.

FBI list of terrorist attacks 2001 to 2005
attacks are by atheist nihilists and Muslims

9/11/2001 New York, NY Aircraft Attack Al-Qa’ida 2972 est. 12000
Washington, DC
New Cumberland, PA
9/01-11/01 New York, NY Bacillus anthracis Unknown 5 17
Washington, DC Mailings
Lantana, FL
10/14/2001 Litchfield, CA Arson Earth Liberation Front
11/12/2001 San Diego, CA Burglary and Vandalism Animal Liberation Front
3/18/2002 Erie, PA Vandalism Earth Liberation Front
3/24/2002 Erie, PA Arson Earth Liberation Front
5/11-12/02 Harborcreek, PA Vandalism/Destruction of Property Earth Liberation Front/ Animal Liberation Front
7/4/2002 Los Angeles, CA Shooting Hesham Mohamed Ali Hedayat 2
8/02-10/02 Henrico and Goochland Counties, VA Vandalism and Destruction of Property Earth Liberation Front
8/11/2002 Warren, PA Arson Earth Liberation Front
9/15-16/02 Harborcreek, PA Vandalism/Destruction of Property Earth Liberation Front/ Animal Liberation Front
11/26/2002 Harborcreek, PA Arson Earth Liberation Front/ Animal Liberation Front
1/1/2003 Girard, PA Arson Earth Liberation Front
3/3/2003 Chico, CA Vandalism Animal Liberation Front
8/03-9/03 San Diego, CA Arson Earth Liberation Front
8/22/2003 West Covina, CA Vandalism and Destruction of Property Earth Liberation Front
8/28/2003 Emeryville, CA Bombing Daniel Andreas San Diego Suspected
9/26/2003 Pleasanton, CA Bombing Daniel Andreas San Diego Suspected
1/19/2004 Henrico County, VA Arson Earth Liberation Front Suspected
4/1/2004 Oklahoma City, OK Arson Sean Michael Gillespie/Aryan Nations
4/20/2004 Redmond, WA Vandalism and Arson Earth Liberation Front
5/04-7/04 Provo, UT Vandalism and Arson Animal Liberation Front
12/27/2004 Lincoln, CA Attempted Arson Earth Liberation Front
1/05-2/05 Auburn, CA Attempted Arson and Arson Earth Liberation Front
Sutter Creek, CA
4/13/2005 Sammanish, WA Arson Earth Liberation Front
7/7/2005 Los Angeles, CA Attempted Arson Animal rights extremists Suspected
9/16/2005 Los Angeles, CA Attempted Arson Animal Liberation Front
11/20/2005 Hagerstown, MD Arson Earth Liberation Front

sociopaths = atheist nihilists
Not true. While an atheist nihilist would be sociopathic, religious sociopaths exist as well.

It is thought 15-25%of the prison population are sociopathic. At the same time atheists make up less than 1% of prisoners. So there are more than a few Christian sociopaths in prison.

Back