Riot in London last night

I actually think that's a good idea. Back in 2003/2004 when I was laid off I registered for such a program - I'd work for free in exchange for experience. I had a few offers but I then just happened to get a paying job offer and went with that instead. Still, I was out of the IT industry for two years at that point, getting some experience looked good on the resume. Albeit my EI wasn't tied to it either (actually, my EI already ran out by that point so I was literally getting nothing in return - except some gas money). Was it motivated by corporate greed? Maybe, but greed isn't necessarily a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

I actually think that's a good idea. Back in 2003/2004 when I was laid off I registered for such a program - I'd work for free in exchange for experience. I had a few offers but I then just happened to get a paying job offer and went with that instead.
You were lucky - not to get into that program.

These long standing conditions are largely caused by themselves because of their own disability to get out of the role of being alpha male/female (as showed off with gold and branded wear as loot).
If you want to see people who are really being abused by fat cats go to China, India or Indonesia. Yet no riots like in London there. And the uprisings that took place in these countries were well organised and strictly aimed at the foe, and India did it even mostly without violence. And believe me, these people have seen the worst of the worst of the west.
and what some in China do is commit suicide. (referring to the suicides at a factory, the name of which has flown out of my mind). I think there was some change after this - probably more because of being embarrassed than actual concern for the workers, but heck....whatever.

But he is almost certainly right (he would know) that he had not been interviewed about any marches. Fundamentally he is correct. Most protests are ignored by the media, even the gargantuan anti-war protests before the Iraq war were ignored and most of the hundreds of thousands of protesters at the various G8/20 events were peaceful (middle class) protesters who got no attention whatsoever.
Perhaps your definition of ignored is different from mine. I've seen plenty of protests covered on TV, especially the anti-war ones - most of which were peaceful. I've taken part in one here in Winnipeg and it was covered despite it not being violent. So I'm really not sure what the heck you're talking about.

Only a few rioters got all the attention.
Rioters steal the attention. What I find curious as that someone like you is spending so much effort justifying the rioters when all they do is rob you of your voice. The ones protesting should be the ones tolerating the rioters the least.

When it is only a few rioters the the news can point to a few trouble makers and ignore the hundreds of thousands of other people who weren't rioting. The political message is clear. Only rioters will be heard. If this message was fully applied then peaceful protests should end to be replaced by hundreds of thousands of rioters - an event which (as we see with thousands) is much harder to cover up.
Well, since you love analogies so much let me throw one your way. Let's say you're at an awesome wine and cheese party, everyone's having a good time but at the end of the night a huge fight breaks out. What's everyone gonna talk about the next day? Not the quality of the wine but instead how it may have led to the party's quick demise. You're basically telling me that people love to talk about other people's misbehavior. And in other news, the ocean is full of water....

Only in theory. In fact it is much like the US and Canada. There are things that you may speak freely which are either irrelevant to power or agree with power. Then there are all the things you may not say.If you say the things that you may not say then you will be threatened, arrested, harrassed, ridiculed (if ignoring you doesn't work).
Ya, but you can still say anything you want without being convicted or thrown in jail. You have the "freedom of speech", not the "freedom of speech without any consequences". Uttering threats to people is always a bad idea. But aside from that, no one says you can't go to your boss and tell him what you REALLY think of him, and no one will say he can't fire you. All freedom of speech means is that you can't be convicted for words you say and I never suggested it meant anything more than that. Still, it's still quite a significant thing I would say and I have no issue with forcing people to have to defend what they say. You wanna justify child sexual exploitation? Sure, but be prepared for one hell of a fight.

Illegal action is merely action that is against the law. It used to be illegal for women to vote and all of their protests were also illegal. The actions of Gandhi and his followers were all illegal. In China after the Opium wars it became illegal for the Chinese to block the sale of opium. The law is an ass and is written by asses.
Clearly I used the wrong word here. Laziness on my part and you pounced all over it. To be more specific, legalities aside, they intentionally hurt (and in a few cases murdered) people who may or may not be at all responsible for any of their problems. Cultural norms on things like narcotics or prostitution vary from nation to nation, but it's pretty universal that attacking people, and especially murder, are outright unacceptable. This is what was going on in London and this is what I was referring to. What do you have to say to that?

If nobody listens then it sucks for them when he finally goes ape shit thus dealing with them accordingly.
If that someone is part of a group measured in the millions of people, then yes. But a handful of individuals, as is seemingly the case here, are much easier to handle. Democracy after all - even theoretically - only ensures the majority rule. The point here is that those who protested were very few and if people chose to ignore them then, I see nothing wrong. If millions filled the streets of London and brought it to a crawl, I'd then say ignoring them is foolish. The idea that one can please everyone is ridiculous so you gotta draw the line somewhere. I see this as just pragmatic common sense.

Were the French wrong to riot in 1789?
Wrong? You know, I can't say I have any romantic thoughts about the French revolution. When I think of the French Revolution I think of a crazy blood bath and it was luck more then design that it ended with a result that some people think justified the means.

and what some in China do is commit suicide. (referring to the suicides at a factory, the name of which has flown out of my mind). I think there was some change after this - probably more because of being embarrassed than actual concern for the workers, but heck....whatever.
Foxconn, and yes it's Chinese. They're famous for making iPods and iPhones, amungst many other similar devices.

Fluffy, let me get one thing straight, I'm not defending British politics in any way, and agree with you that the continued Tatcherism is a fertile ground for civil unrest to thrive.
But I also feel that these rioters don't give a damn about anything but themselves. They don't care about Britain. They don't care about getting each other out of the misery.
They care about Prada, Playstation and Nikes. Otherwise they'd go on strike, on the street protesting against the government.
I've seen and had more than enough of this as I went to school in a backward town where chavism was thriving. If you were good at anything but gymnastic you got in trouble.
I've seen that in these societies the majority of the people are quite normal but silent, and/or sequacious, and there is a small group who knows how to use this sequaciousness.
Single out this small group and give that majority of people perspective (with workers' protection laws and such) and I can believe in that measure. But not without singling out
that small group as that culture will maintain and money's all wasted.

Well, that's a bit of my point, the Chinese are waaaaay too docile (if you read about what the West and Japan did to China before the upcoming of Mao, you'll be very silent), but these rioters are on the very other part of the spectrum.

But I also feel that these rioters don't give a damn about anything but themselves.
I'm not disagreeing with that. In fact, I'm agreeing that they are self interested. Everyone is.

If children are digging into a dirt cliff and the dirt falls and smothers them to death - should it have? Morally speaking, is the dirt at fault? Ah, but dirt has no discretion - it can't make choices. People don't always make choices either. The choices you can make and the reactions you have to situations are the product of what is innate and what you have seen. People and groups of people are semi-predictable systems. That is why thieves know where your house keys or car keys are and why mentalists can "read your mind". That is why advertisers have jobs. We like to think that we are all unique and have free will but that is very much less true than we wish it were.

Given certain conditions a narrow range of outcomes become likely. Changing the conditions can change the outcomes. The people at the top have the most power to change the conditions so the resulting conditions are predominantly due to the ineptitude of the powerful or they serve a purpose or they are a side effect of some other purpose well served.

Whether people should be punished is a moral question and whether people have a right to address perceived wrongs is also a moral question and whether it is OK to search kids all the time and exclude them from opportunities and let them turn stultifyingly inwards is a moral question. What will happen under these conditions is a practical matter.

By way of explanation of what I am trying to get at, hopefully, there is a great difference of opinion on the moral issue of drug use and the moral positions of banning or allowing drugs. We can argue all day about personal responsibility or who is a loser and whether they should be punished or helped and what the moral implications are but it won't help address the problems but you can step back and drop the blame game and see - which is the preferable society; one with prohibition or one without? You can get big results from a small, wise policy change that would never be achieved by gathering philosophers and clergy and every halfwit with an opinion to figure out what's wrong with the junkies.

Well, that's a bit of my point, the Chinese are waaaaay too docile (if you read about what the West and Japan did to China before the upcoming of Mao, you'll be very silent), but these rioters are on the very other part of the spectrum.
oh, exactly....it's two ways to react to similar abuse.
I understand why people could be desperate to resort to either...and would do neither, myself

There appears to be two somewhat simplistic explanations being offered up in the UK media for the supposed cause and there seems to be an element of that in these discussions.

On the one hand the rioters are all greedy, little, thieving thugs who delight in violence, vandalism, arson and theft.
On the other, they're a poor, wretched underclass, with no opportunities and no other way of expressing themselves.

Whilst there is probably an element of truth in each of these positions, there is also a problem with both. Whether it is the former, the latter or a combination of both, the rioters were this way long before the riots and will continue to be long after, so neither position can fully explain what really caused the riots.

The way I see it there are many more factors involved and the reasons for the original riot in Tottenham were not quite the same as those that followed in Hackney and other places the following night. By the third night, with riots popping up all over England, the reasons were different again. However, like a messy Venn diagram, there's probably a lot of little overlaps.

Going back to March 27th, Kelvin Easton was stabbed through the heart.
Depending who you beleive, his cousin Mark Duggan:
1. was a gangster who always carried a gun
2. became paranoid that he might be next so started carrying a gun
3. wanted revenge so started carrying a gun.

Regardles of whether any of the above is correct, on 4th August he was shot dead by police in circumstances which are still unclear.
His family and friends were unhappy at the police explanation for what happened and, along with supporters, made an initially peaceful, protest march to the police station, apparently looking for "answers" and "justice."

What happened next is also still unclear but initial reports, eyewitness accounts and subsequent youtube footage suggested that just before the first riot broke out, several riot police beat a 16 year old girl with batons and shields.
This is still unconfirmed.
However, given all of the above, it would obviously be inadequate to ascribe the cause of the initial riot squarely on either of the simplistic views offered above.

The causes of the subsequent disturbances are clearly not directly related to most of what preceeded the first but I think it's too simplistic to completely separate them.

It's simply impossible to pin everything that happened on a single cause.

2009 Economist Social Unrest Index.
2010 could be a year that sparks unrest

The UK is a medium risk for 2010. One of the principle risks for social unrest is income inequality. Inequality of application of the law is also a factor. It's not vastly mysterious. People should not be surprised if they were paying attention - but they aren't.

Interestingly Libya has low social unrest rating. This perhaps explains why the rebels are losing ground despite massive NATO air support.

Lots of strange (at least at first glance) sentences being handed out in the last few days.

16 months in gaol for stealing some doughnoughts today.

The other day we had a strange situation:
riot and loot a telly, get a year in gaol.
talk about it on facebook, get four years in gaol.

I'm not disagreeing with that. In fact, I'm agreeing that they are self interested. Everyone is.

If children are digging into a dirt cliff and the dirt falls and smothers them to death - should it have? Morally speaking, is the dirt at fault? Ah, but dirt has no discretion - it can't make choices. People don't always make choices either. The choices you can make and the reactions you have to situations are the product of what is innate and what you have seen. People and groups of people are semi-predictable systems. That is why thieves know where your house keys or car keys are and why mentalists can "read your mind". That is why advertisers have jobs. We like to think that we are all unique and have free will but that is very much less true than we wish it were.

Given certain conditions a narrow range of outcomes become likely. Changing the conditions can change the outcomes. The people at the top have the most power to change the conditions so the resulting conditions are predominantly due to the ineptitude of the powerful or they serve a purpose or they are a side effect of some other purpose well served.

Whether people should be punished is a moral question and whether people have a right to address perceived wrongs is also a moral question and whether it is OK to search kids all the time and exclude them from opportunities and let them turn stultifyingly inwards is a moral question. What will happen under these conditions is a practical matter.

By way of explanation of what I am trying to get at, hopefully, there is a great difference of opinion on the moral issue of drug use and the moral positions of banning or allowing drugs. We can argue all day about personal responsibility or who is a loser and whether they should be punished or helped and what the moral implications are but it won't help address the problems but you can step back and drop the blame game and see - which is the preferable society; one with prohibition or one without? You can get big results from a small, wise policy change that would never be achieved by gathering philosophers and clergy and every halfwit with an opinion to figure out what's wrong with the junkies.
Very well replied, though it contradicts your earlier statement, that the misbehaviour at the top legitimates these riots, instead of just causing it (by bad descisions, bad example, or bad attitude).
As you say, people are semi-predictable, do not fully have a will of their own, but in free countries it is expected that people have a full will of their own. Otherwise they are not being able to consent.
That said, what goal do we have with punishment? To bend the wills of other wannabe rioters and that of the convicted? As they do not have full consent it should be an easy job for an advertiser.
But that doesn't feel right for many people. They want punishment as to lower the standard of people who did wrong as their lives come with enough challenges already. The why-question comes around.
Why does this cheerful person A had to die in such a painful way because of disease and person B who only terrorized other people have the right of a TV set and a free meal in prison? It's irrational but it's humanly. We need to think justice is done, we need to think the future brings us nothing but prosperity, we need to think we live in the greatest country on earth. Because otherwise, who would care? Each to their own? Is the faith in the UK fading?

Back