People 70 and over will not be treated under Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by redrumloa, Dec 31, 2011.

  1. redrumloa

    redrumloa Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,473
    Likes Received:
    243
  2. the_leander

    the_leander Active Member Member

    Messages:
    1,506
    Likes Received:
    304
    Location:
    Kingdom of Mercia (where else)
    Unless the Republican party has finally realised it's long maintained ambition to shut down Medicare, seriously, who cares?

    They're still covered.
    theonestonecutter likes this.
  3. Fade

    Fade Member Member

    Messages:
    587
    Likes Received:
    23
    Location:
    The "Free State of Winston" in SweetHome Alabama
    Can you believe it?

    Another non-American, who is an expert on American health care.:thumbs down:
  4. the_leander

    the_leander Active Member Member

    Messages:
    1,506
    Likes Received:
    304
    Location:
    Kingdom of Mercia (where else)
    Having had to listen to Republicans whine and bitch about ebul socialist healthcare in the US (that being Medicare and Medicaid) and how the country would be better off without it and actually managing to sell that shit to their supporters, many of whom are elderly, I actually bothered to read up on what is actually being offered. But that doesn't make me an expert you disingenuous prick.
    cecilia likes this.
  5. redrumloa

    redrumloa Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,473
    Likes Received:
    243
    Err, we are talking about Obamacare which is not even implemented yet. Did you actually listen to the link?
  6. faethor

    faethor Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,029
    Likes Received:
    1,202
    Location:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    My question is does Obamacare negate medicare and medicaid? Or does it extend the coverage of what's already in medicare and medicaid? For example would the surgery fall under Medicare and the aftermath of long term care needed fall into the new Obamacare programs?

    AFAIK Obamacare doesn't negate the person buying their own care, if they so choose. Healthcare Insurance companies are making a huge profit still. There is no sign that the industry is dead, unfortunately.

    What we have here is a mixture of systems. Obamacare/Medicaid provide for some care for everyone. And if there's special things they'd like to cover at even greater levels there is still a capitalist system to do that within. Certainly if it was a capitalist system only and someone choose to not buy they'd only have to pay the caretaker instead.

    I think we see why a fair % are against Obamacare, it just doesn't do enough and they want the government to do more.
  7. redrumloa

    redrumloa Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,473
    Likes Received:
    243
    That's an odd way of saying that you were surprised to see Death Panels were real after all.
  8. FluffyMcDeath

    FluffyMcDeath Active Member Member

    Messages:
    9,322
    Likes Received:
    1,402
    Location:
    Vancouver BC
    This is a statement that makes very little sense on several grounds, not least of which being that it is not a way of saying what you said it says at all.
  9. Fade

    Fade Member Member

    Messages:
    587
    Likes Received:
    23
    Location:
    The "Free State of Winston" in SweetHome Alabama
    Faethor guessed:
    "AFAIK Obamacare doesn't negate the person buying their own care, if they so choose. Healthcare Insurance companies are making a huge profit still."
    -------------------------------------

    As apparently, I am the only person on this board that actually falls under Medicare and has to live under their rules, let me explain to Faethor, Fluffy, Cecilia, theonestonecutter ,and our resident European expert on American health care, how it affects me.

    I was covered under the top rated private company BlueCross/BlueShield until I reached retirement. About 3 months before I retired, I received a letter from BC/BS that informed me that my policy would not be renewed, because I was now eligible for Medicare. There was no option for continued coverage, but they would sell me a supplemental policy to cover what Medicare would not. This had nothing to do with Obamacare at all, just the way insurance works in the US. Of course there are exceptions to these rules... some government workers, and some Unions.

    Under the New Obamacare, anytime the government decides that a medical procedure does not meet the "Use of Best Practices in Health and Human Services", as defined by a government panel, Medicare will not have to cover it. If Medicare doesn't have to cover it, then your supplemental insurance policy will not have to cover it either. It's that simple. You will have two other option though, cough up the cash, or take the European way out.

    As that doctor pointed out in the video, apparently the age limit for brain surgery will be 70.
    Now do you get it?

    I know Faethor and Cecilia have already started squirrling away their cash, not sure about theonestonecutter, he might be in one of those unions.
  10. the_leander

    the_leander Active Member Member

    Messages:
    1,506
    Likes Received:
    304
    Location:
    Kingdom of Mercia (where else)
    Medicare doesn't have to cover it now under the current rules, even by your own words you had to take out supplimentary insurance. That policy isn't suddenly going to become invalid under the new ruleset and anything promised in it will still have to be honoured under contract law. Nor is it likely that they will attempt to change the terms and conditions to try to get out of it because to do so would negate the need for the policy at all.

    The HHS currently performs many if not all of the roles the new council will across various departments anyway.

    Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of the new provisions, I still feel that people would have been far better off it medicare/caid had been expanded to offer a much more comprehensive service rather than the current lockin of private security.

    But then as we all know increasing state funded healthcare would cause the russians to invade...

    Also, I'm not european.
  11. Fade

    Fade Member Member

    Messages:
    587
    Likes Received:
    23
    Location:
    The "Free State of Winston" in SweetHome Alabama
    Let me start over, because I made a statement that you did not understand.
    I said; "but they would sell me a supplemental policy to cover what Medicare would not"
    That was a poorly worded statement. What I should have said is they would sell me a policy that would pay the difference in cost of a covered procedure. In other words if a covered procedure cost $1000.00, Medicare would pay 80% of that cost, and the supplemental policy would cover the other 20%. The word you have to remember is "covered". If it isn't covered by Medicare for the first 80% then the supplemental policy does not pay the 80% plus the other 20%. It pays zero because it isn't covered.

    Now you can add the other part
    Under the New Obamacare, anytime the government decides that a medical procedure does not meet the "Use of Best Practices in Health and Human Services", as defined by a government panel, Medicare will not have to cover it.

    Now do you get it?
  12. redrumloa

    redrumloa Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,473
    Likes Received:
    243
    Exactly. I am scratching my head to understand why so many on Whyzzat have a hard time with this concept. What we are seeing now, as pointed out in the video only you and I actually watched, is Palin's Death Panels. People over 70 will no longer have life saving brain surgery. Unless, of course, they are in certain unions or the Federal Government.

    BTW doctors largely don't take cash. The chances of getting brain surgery with cash are very low. When my wife had her terrible accident in 2006, we were turned away from several doctors offices in quite a rude way despite the fact we were willing to pay cash up front. We needed our lawyer's connections to find a doctor who would take cash.
  13. FluffyMcDeath

    FluffyMcDeath Active Member Member

    Messages:
    9,322
    Likes Received:
    1,402
    Location:
    Vancouver BC
    So private insurance and Medicare cover exactly the same things but Medicare covers 80% of the cost and private only 20%. This proves that private coverage is better than government coverage.
  14. faethor

    faethor Active Member Moderator

    Messages:
    5,029
    Likes Received:
    1,202
    Location:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Private insurance doesn't cover anything. Yes those 'Death Panels' do exist. Obamacare improves many items for the uninsured but doesn't cover everything either. So people often need Medicare or Medicaid. And similar things exist for Veterans. -- It's overly complex and difficult. It costs the US twice as much per person at no better rate of care than any of the other First World nations.

    The answer here is simple but politically difficult. Scrap it all and move to a single payer single healthcare system.
    cecilia likes this.

Share This Page