New users and spam...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Guys,

New User registration has been opened again, all the spam catchers let loose, but...

Over the last couple of weeks, we've caught and deleted a couple of bot accounts but there have been several new accounts created which are -- at best -- questionable.

Hopefully they're good people, but chances are a few of them are just spambots because all these new members are being totally silent (no posts at all). That's almost 99% indicative of bots, so be on the lookout for spammers and let me know.

Wish I had a clue how to promote this damned site which didn't involve Twitter (which I loathe).

Robert

Reaction score
I shall remain vigilant. ;)

metalman

Reaction score
I would suggest a new user thread, where new users have declipher then post an answer to a visual captcha test, for example: a picture of an apple and a picture of a mac computer, a picture of an apple pie, Q: What do they have in common??

then those that seem to be real posts can be authorized to post elsewhere, let the existing members click those that seem to be real people to allow them to post elsewhere, and/or ban the spammers

have the new users posts moderated, for 10 posts or so, so if they then post spam they are then banned
the new user moderators are the existing members

Last edited:

cecilia

Reaction score
I've never had a twitter account because it seems rather silly

in fact there's only ONE reason I'd even consider having an account and that is to follow Neil Tyson.

I'm still mulling that over

Glaucus

Reaction score
Well, instead of twitter you can use Facebook and G+.

However, making a twitter account might be all that you need. I created a twitter account for my hockey team and to my surprise there's all these random people across the continent following it. Really weird, but it seems to market itself. So you should just register a Whyzzat twitter account and let it do it's magic.