Neil Degrasse Tyson does Cosmos

yes, I just can not wait for this

I miss Carl ... but I understand that kids today find the old show's pacing rather slow and the effects a little not-so-good.

I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I've been looking forward to this for a couple of years.

Cosmos is still my favourite science programme - I have a framed quotation from it hanging in the middle of my living room wall - but I like Tyson (albeit not quite as much as I liked Sagan) and think he'll do a pretty good job.

I believe Neil is UPDATING the series - not so much a simple redo - because new science info has since been discovered in the intervening years

If Sagan was alive he would be updating his series.

Yes, it's now "trillions and trillions"of stars, not just mere "billions and billions".

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I believe Neil is UPDATING the series - not so much a simple redo - because new science info has since been discovered in the intervening years

The box set I have of Cosmos comes with Sagan's scientific updates of around a decade (I think) after the series was filmed. Some of them are in the form of small corrections which just made me like him even more.

Wait - I'm so confused!! Is this a sequel, a remake or a reboot? :)

I too am curious about this take/reboot/continuation/whatever of Cosmos. The original series opened my eyes to science (along with Jacques Cousteau and Wernher Von Braun) and set me on the path to where I am today. I wish Neil the best and hope he is as influential with a new generation as Carl was to mine.

I just hope this iteration acknologes the original before it continues the journey. :)

Regards,
ltstanfo

I think Neil worships the ground Carl walked on as much as we do. I'm fairly sure this iteration will be fabulous

I haven't seen gravity (which is typical for me...I have little time for Going To A Theater), but I already heard Tyson complain about the incorrect science in the film.

and, yes, stuff like that annoys me

I haven't seen gravity (which is typical for me...I have little time for Going To A Theater), but I already heard Tyson complain about the incorrect science in the film.

I mostly enjoyed it regardless (although it's rather corny).

Here's an astronaut's opinion:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/10/17/what-does-a-real-astronaut-think-of-gravity/

First of all, it’s a great movie. The pace and story was definitely engaging and I think it was the best use of the 3-D IMAX medium to date. Rather than using the medium as a gimmick, “Gravity” uses it to depict a real environment that is completely alien to most people.
But the question that most people want me to answer is, how realistic was it? The very fact that the question is being asked so earnestly is a testament to the verisimilitude of the movie. When a bad science fiction movie comes out, no one bothers to ask me if it reminded me of the real thing.
The movie does an outstanding job of capturing what it is like to do a spacewalk – much better than any previous sci fi film. Having done three spacewalks myself, I can tell you – this is legit. The visual impact of having nothing but the glass of your helmet between you and the Earth is captured very well.

what film does best is create an emotional situation. So, it appears to have succeeded.

Back