Membership is open, but unused...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Just for the record, membership (and the ability to create new accounts) to Whyzzat.com is open. Anyone can create an account, log in, and use the site just like any other registered user.

That being said, it appears that we're doing something wrong, because the only new registrations we've gotten since April have been verified spammers with hits on the various anti-spam control sites.

While I admit we may have a hard time attracting new users because of our tendency to become rabid, I'm open to any ideas as to how we might better promote the site (other than -- or better said, in addition to -- cross-promoting to AO or other Amiga-related sites)

Robert

Reaction score
That's a shame. Some new users would be welcome but I've already posted links to the site on FB and G+. Not really sure what if there's anything else I could do.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
That's a shame. Some new users would be welcome but I've already posted links to the site on FB and G+. Not really sure what if there's anything else I could do.
You posted the link TO THE ENEMY!!!!

Seriously, a lot of what people did on forums in a social sense they now do on Facebook and Google+ ... and a lot of the newsy stuff has gone to news comment threads. Without a nichey focus it's really a place to hang out and chat with friends (or fight with friends) which, don't get me wrong, I really value. But that platform has moved to the big services.
Actually, even a lot of the more "niche" groups have either migrated or just started up on those big services. Having a site and a forum is kind of "old school". If you want audience you need to push content and have a "channel" and does anyone need a way to use up whatever spare time they have in the day to create that stuff? The last new guy to really participate was the lively robert l bentham but after some (insane?) overheated discussion we ended up less one robert and one redrumloa. Sigh

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Still makes me think that I should have taken the time or interest to write a open source "facebook clone" that could be cross-adapted to any site/purpose all those years ago like I had wanted.

Back on AO when I suggested the idea in like 2008, everyone was all "we hate Facebook" and "that's a stupid idea", but now -- as you pointed out -- forums are a dying breed unless they serve a VERY specific purpose. Whyzzat can be fun, but it has no targeted purpose.

ilwrath

Reaction score
Still makes me think that I should have taken the time or interest to write a open source "facebook clone" that could be cross-adapted to any site/purpose all those years ago like I had wanted.

Back on AO when I suggested the idea in like 2008, everyone was all "we hate Facebook" and "that's a stupid idea", but now -- as you pointed out -- forums are a dying breed unless they serve a VERY specific purpose. Whyzzat can be fun, but it has no targeted purpose.

I never quite understood what good a clone would do. But to my eye, Facebook kind of took over the role of the old school BBS. But it does it rather poorly in a lot of ways... So if by "Facebook Clone" you're more meaning a re-invention of the BBS in a post-Facebook way... That probably could really work.

That is easier said than done, though. I've drawn up design docs for how that would look and function a few times over the years, and I've never stumbled into something I really found compelling enough to chase further.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting them. I didn't get the e-mail notifications (looking into it) but went through and cleaned house this morning when I saw the alert on the top of my screen... Turns out there were probably a dozen lying in wait.

Wayne

Glaucus

Reaction score
Well, forums always needed a "channel" of sorts. Amiga.org is a good example of that. Nothing new there really. Whyzzat probably just needs a well defined channel. What's this site all about?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, forums always needed a "channel" of sorts. Amiga.org is a good example of that. Nothing new there really. Whyzzat probably just needs a well defined channel. What's this site all about?
That's what I was saying. Whyzzat is a lounge chair in a usually friendly bar, but has no real "reason" / purpose to exist. No "target", or as you call it, no "well defined channel"...

I have no ideas.

cecilia

Reaction score
i thought it was for bitching and moaning :D

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
i thought it was for bitching and moaning :D
I can't disagree, but even that lacks a little focus. Maybe I should have stuck with "simplybitchin.com" (which I still own btw) or even "dailygrinch.com" (which I bought recently).

ilwrath

Reaction score
Heh.... 'Horny Dancer' was at it this time. Not nearly as entertaining a post as I would have hoped from that name.

As for the "reason" or "focus" or whatever... I agree that the site works as a sort of lounge. But forum software doesn't seem to be well suited to be lounges. I see where you're going when you say you'd like to try to build something completely your own, but what would that look like?

As for sticking to a forum format... I'm not sure I'd bother to visit a site that was actually focused on bitching. I don't typically try to seek out bitching and moaning. The bitchers and moaners always manage to find me offline more than I'd care for... I always liked the "explanation" aspect of Whyzzat. I think that was even in the tagline for a while...? I still have no idea how to tie that down to being on a point or focus, though.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
I thought it was a clever way to give all the political flamers a one way ticket out of Amiga.org. :D
He turned up the lights, shut down the bar and then opened the door. What were we supposed to do? Wait for the cops to come break up the party?