Home fruit & vegetable garden anyone?

redrumloa

Reaction score
Anyone here into home fruit and vegetable gardening? I decided to stop procrastinating and plant a fruit tree recently, so I got a banana tree. Within 2 weeks I was up to 3 fruit trees. I've got the bug now, I think a proper vegetable and proper fruit garden will be next. I would be interested to hear if anyone else is into this.

So far:
Banana Tree
"Star Fruit" Carambola Tree
Cocktail Tree ("Honeybell" Minneola Tangelo, Navel Orange, Ponkan Tangerine, Persian Lime, Meyer Lemon and Ruby Red Grapefruit)

I am thinking of construction a planter box to raise the garden up to protect it somewhat from pests and hyper pet dogs. Anyone done this?

Cocktail tree and Star Fruit Tree:

102_0152.JPG

102_0151.JPG

102_0155.JPG

102_0153.JPG

102_0156.JPG

I've got a pair Orange trees although the climate here does them no favours. We used to grow our own stuff many years ago, just don't have the time to look after it all anymore...

I have a cherry tree.

-edit-

Occasionally grow my own garlic as well.

Scottish weather isn't really suited to much in the way of fruit and my garden space is very limited.

Add to that I'm a lazy bugger.

This should probably be a post of its own in Politics. This really boils my blood. I guess Oak Park and countless other cities around the country have not gotten the memo that we should be perusing sustainable living. They are trying to force her to use grass as mandatory ground cover? Grass is the absolute least efficient ground cover when it comes to water consumption. Grass also requires harsh fertilizers that run off into ground water. But that is not even my greatest beef. The city should have no right to tell a property owner what they can or cannot do with their property as long as it does not endanger anyone.

This should probably be a post of its own in Politics. This really boils my blood. I guess Oak Park and countless other cities around the country have not gotten the memo that we should be perusing sustainable living. They are trying to force her to use grass as mandatory ground cover? Grass is the absolute least efficient ground cover when it comes to water consumption. Grass also requires harsh fertilizers that run off into ground water. But that is not even my greatest beef. The city should have no right to tell a property owner what they can or cannot do with their property as long as it does not endanger anyone.

Ridiculous. Whilst I can see why such rules are in place, this looks like a prime example bureaucratic idiocy. Anyone using their ickle-bit land to feed themselves should be applauded. It's hardly a hideous eyesore either.

It doesn't happen very often, Jim, but our blood is boiling together on this one. ;-)

Anyone here into home fruit and vegetable gardening? I decided to stop procrastinating and plant a fruit tree recently, so I got a banana tree. Within 2 weeks I was up to 3 fruit trees. I've got the bug now, I think a proper vegetable and proper fruit garden will be next. I would be interested to hear if anyone else is into this.

What type of Banana tree? I have a ton of the dwarf (Canvandish?), they are messy, ants love them, and timing when to eat them is a a art form. Avacados do pretty well down here. One thing I've always wanted to try is grow sugar cane and watermellon.

Veggie garden, just about anything grows down here.

All I have is a little avocado (don't expect it to live though - not the climate for it) and a tomato plant which is a surprise because I didn't plant it and it's in a stupid place and the weather's been terrible and I have no idea how it got enough water - but now I've found it I'll try to get it to crop - maybe save some seeds.

I bought one tomato plant in a pot, and it's turning out to be a great investment. This one plant has at least 20 tomatoes on it, and I harvested a few earlier this week and they were delicious - far better then that crap from the grocery store (I'm funny, I love tomatoes but absolutely refuse to eat the store bought ones for some reason). Aside from that, I have also planted some sweet banana peppers and carrots and onions. The soil in my area is full of clay, but this year I brought in some high quality soil to help the plants grow better. I also grow my own oregano, rosemary and two types of basil. I also have a raspberry bush, which grows like a weed, but makes some tasty berries. My parents have a lot more space then I do they like to experiment. This year they planted peanuts. Can't wait to see how those turn out.

Oh yeah, I have a rosemary bush in the front yard as well...

What type of Banana tree? I have a ton of the dwarf (Canvandish?), they are messy, ants love them, and timing when to eat them is a a art form.

Honestly the banana type is one thing I do not know the specifics about. I know it is not dwarf, but the guy at the nursery did not speak good english. He did say they were larger size bananas and that they grow in enormous bunches.

We have two gardens. Lets see.... I have potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onions(two varieties), Zucchini, sweet potatoes and corn in both gardens. One garden has the strawberry patch. The other has garlic and a arbor for the beans, peas, cucumbers and concord grapes. Oh, that one also has pumpkins, radishes and carrots. Plus two large pots and a hanger of strawberries.
We just harvested the garlic and radishes. Been picking strawberries the last few weeks.
Then in the back of the large yard is the large apple tree.
Yes, it's better fresh from the garden. Much more flavor.

@Argo

Sounds great! Aren't you in Texas? Isn't most of Texas zone 11? I am surprised to see you have an apple tree. Do you get a lot of apples?

I have an Apple tree. It was covered in flowers and ripe for photos. Later that same day, before the photos, a 40-60MPH wind storm rolled through our area stripping every single flower from the tree. We are getting apples though so when they turn red I can get photos.

Otherwise I let others do the work. I try to get most stuff locally. We have a farm share that supplies us veggies every week. Our neighbor* has a garden we help tend a bit and grows way too much for 2 people so we get the extras. Our renter grows a small garden but they planted mostly things that won't be ready until late Aug or Sept.

*neighbor - is it fair to say someone is a neighbor when they live nearly 2 miles away but only 4 houses down?

Honestly the banana type is one thing I do not know the specifics about. I know it is not dwarf, but the guy at the nursery did not speak good english. He did say they were larger size bananas and that they grow in enormous bunches.

That's the one to get. :)

Anyone here into home fruit and vegetable gardening?
I am thinking of construction a planter box to raise the garden up to protect it somewhat from pests and hyper pet dogs. Anyone done this?

I'm zone 10 and vegetables are planted only for spring and fall harvest, summer is too hot. Plant things you enjoy for the flavor or uniqueness.

For a vegetable garden suggest things like tomatoes and peppers, that have a continuous production once plant gets to size. You need to stagger plant some crops (green beans, peas, radish, ...) unless you plan on eating about a bushel of them at once ; )

For fruits consider grapes and kiwi

I'm zone 10 and vegetables are planted only for spring and fall harvest, summer is too hot.

Yeah that is what I read, but I threw caution to the wind and planted Beefsteak Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers and Sweet Banana Peppers today.

The plants themselves were cheap. If they don't take, I will plant new ones in the fall from seed.

102_0157.JPG

Yeah that is what I read, but I threw caution to the wind and planted Beefsteak Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers and Sweet Banana Peppers today.

The plants themselves were cheap. If they don't take, I will plant new ones in the fall from seed.

You going to water daily or twice daily until we get some rain?

Back