Help me with the design aspects please?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Good morning!

The brown edge background is starting to wear on me a bit so I'm starting to look at designing a more "permanent" solution.

Design-wise, as you can tell via the old Whyzzat, and the current salemspectator.com, I tend to strive for an "earthy", brown, "homey" sort of thing. While Apple might hate me because it's rather "skeuromorphic" and shit, I find it rather a great mix of professional and calming..

Something inviting anyway. Something examply like this;

one-page-single-website-design-inspiration-templates-web-001.jpg

or perhaps;

Brown-Themed-Website-Designs-24.jpg

Since all of you use this site, I'd like to invite you to weigh in and send you on a search for backgrounds and textures, and stuff. I will be building the new, or at least altered, theme in the background but would really, REALLY appreciate your input..

Wayne

cecilia

Reaction score
how about a woody background

003-wood-melamine-subttle-pattern-background-pat.jpg

Glaucus

Reaction score
Skeuromorphic design is one of the things I hated most about Apple. MS has done a better job recently. But that's just me. And I trend to prefer brushed metal or stone over wood.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Skeuromorphic design is one of the things I hated most about Apple.
The dose makes the poison.

The current trend of moving user interface design towards what can only be described as abstract art is not exactly without its drawbacks either.

MS has done a better job recently. But that's just me. And I trend to prefer brushed metal or stone over wood.
Actually, I was surprised how much I hated the Windows Phone "Metro" interface when it was first introduced, and I still disliked it when they adopted it for Windows 8 later. As time goes by, one can get used to many things but I am not quite there yet.

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
I really like this one. We'll have to see what I can come up with tomorrow. Something dark and cherry-ish. Cool.
Perhaps combined with vermillion teints? (color code: #D21500 )

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
The search for the perfect background continues. Please forgive the random temporary changes...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
The dose makes the poison.
Please don't get hung up on the word skeuromorphic. I'm not suggesting that I put radio dials on everything and try to make the site look like a radio... I just want the colors and overall scheme to be inviting and soothing. Leathers, papers, a good schema where every color blends well with the rest. That's all I'm really saying..

The current brown leather is not perfect, but it's more what I'm looking for than the previous tan marble texture.

If you see a background, or site with various things like that you see, please give me the URL, the image, or whatever so that I might adapt it here?

Wayne

Speelgoedmannetje

Marquis de Bon Vie
Reaction score
I tried the bright red, but it was a bit too "in your face". Can you deal with this kinda brickish red color?
Sure, it was only a suggestion :)
The red I suggested was more orange-ish red rather than bright red. You still can use it on the "new" buttons as they have to be a bit more in your face.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Why is the background image so small, by the way? On bandwidth-starved mobile device, the website essentially runs in fullscreen mode without the background being visible. It might make sense to simply leave out the bitmap backround in small resolutions, since nobody could see it anyway, and to use an appropriately large and detailed version on computers.

If you use {background-scale: cover;}, you can have any background image be scaled to fit one's browser window width, which avoids unnecessary and often ugly "tiling" effects.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok Jobbo,

Not sure I explained it correctly, but please understand that I'm completely shoehorned as to what I can, and cannot accomplish via CSS or other layout aspects.

It's the classic "full featured out-of-the-box versus massive work to build it yourself" trade-off.

I can change fonts, colors, and stuff, but I can't go all "on Jobbo's browser show xyz, but on Wayne's browser, show ABC, but on everyone else's, give the bleep up cause it doesn't matter anyway" :)

That is, unless someone wants to actually teach me CSS and then figure out where the damned CSS files are.. :)

JoBBo

Reaction score
You should know where they are now, and I already gave you some code that is only used when a browser window is at least 1200 pixels wide. I will gladly supply whatever CSS is needed to implement certain key layout changes.

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
@metal,

I'm not really a Twitter fan, so I know little about it. Can you help me understand where you would want this, and why?

Robert

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that I put radio dials on everything and try to make the site look like a radio...

I have to confess that I'd probably like that.
But then, I liked the Pro Station Audio interface on MorphOS, so I would say that.

metalman

Reaction score
@metal,

I'm not really a Twitter fan, so I know little about it. Can you help me understand where you would want this, and why?

http://www.whyzzat.com/threads/hashtag-diplomacy.27303/

Add this Tweet to your website by copying the code below

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The world stands <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#UnitedforUkraine&amp;src=hash">#UnitedforUkraine</a>. Let’s hope that the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#Kremlin&amp;src=hash">#Kremlin</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/mfa_russia">@mfa_russia</a> will live by the promise of hashtag</p>&mdash; Jen Psaki (@statedeptspox) <a href="https://twitter.com/statedeptspox/statuses/459469620861075457">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>