Google will give your info to the US government

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by FluffyMcDeath, Aug 11, 2011.

1. FluffyMcDeath

FluffyMcDeath Active Member Member

2. redrumloa

redrumloa Active Member Moderator

Google keeps information forever but in the past the resisted handing over info. I guess that is over.
  3. faethor

faethor Active Member Moderator

Additionally, there is no guarantee where your data is in the Google Cloud. One city in California stopped their switch to Google docs when they found out their data resided in Communist China.
  4. redrumloa

redrumloa Active Member Moderator

I really don't like where all of this is going... I am glad I am not alone.
  5. Glaucus

Glaucus Active Member Member

I've always had issues with the cloud. Not so much that I won't use it, but I make sure to use it for non-sensitive things like family photos or whatever. Anything real sensitive stays on my own hard drives. I resist the trend to replace hard drives with the cloud.
    cecilia likes this.
  6. cecilia

cecilia Active Member Member

same with me. No sensitive data leaves my HD/data DVD's/removable drives

I've shared some files with my brother using dropbox, but nothing that can't be public. In fact, many of the files from my brother are audio files for his web site which Are public.

but I just don't buy the whole 'use the cloud' for your entire flippin' life notion. I don't trust The Cloud
  7. Dammy

Dammy Member Member

Kinda makes you wonder where the vender who is going to be processing and storing all that Obamacare data is going to have their servers located. Typically it's the lowest bidder wins such huge bids which was GE, if I 'm not mistaken. Wonder where GE got cheap Data Centers at to maintain 300+ million US citizen's medical records at plus backup farms?
  8. cybereye

cybereye Member Member

Partner from Google. [​IMG]
  9. Glaucus

On the flip side, google does provide fully encrypted searches. Firefox users can use the EFF made plugin called HTTPS Everywhere which ensures that all your google searches go through the encrypted mechanism. As a bonus, it will also use encrypted connections for other popular sites that support it (wikipedia, facebook, etc). Surf safe!
  10. FluffyMcDeath

FluffyMcDeath Active Member Member

I don't see how that helps. That only protects the connection but google servers still decrypt your searches to perform them and google still saves the search that was done along with various information that identifies the searcher so they can give you back results tailored to your tastes in the future. THAT is the information that the US government agencies can request.
  11. Glaucus

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that this would somehow protect you from THAT. Still, encrypting raw requests is still a step in the right direction, Google or Bing can't change the laws. I just thought I'd share the link to the HTTPS Everywhere tool as I just installed it today. Seems to work fine but the Google interface is slightly different.