Biggest dinosaur footprints ever seen...

Robert

Reaction score
...discovered in 'Australia’s Jurassic Park'

biggest-dinosaur-footprint.jpg

Palaeontologists discovered tracks around 1.7 metres long, enough for an average human to lie down in, embedded in sandstone rock along the remote Kimberley shoreline region in Western Australia.

The giant prints were left by huge Diplodocus-like herbivores, and smash the previous record find of 106cm tracks found in the Mongolian desert last year.

Robert

Reaction score
wonder why they hi-light the impression of the pad of the foot and not include the toe impressions?

I wondered about that myself.
I'd expect that to make it a fair bit longer than 1.7m (unless the chap in the photo is more diminutive than most).

Haven't had time to read the (rather long) journal piece but a cursory scan suggests it was a three-toed beastie.

metalman

Reaction score
FIGURE 28. Broome sauropod morphotype A, from the Yanijarri–Lurujarri section of the Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia. Pedal impression UQL-DP8-1(p), preserved in situ as A, photograph; B, ambient occlusion image; and C, schematic interpretation. Manual impression UQL-DP8-1(m), preserved in situ as D, photograph; E, ambient occlusion image; and F, schematic interpretation. Coupled pedal and manual impressions, UQL-DP8-1, preserved in situ as G, schematic map. H, silhouette of hypothetical trackmaker of Broome sauropod morphotype A, based on UQL-DP8-1, compared with a human silhouette. Abbreviations: b, over-shadowing loose boulder; h, heel region; hc, heel-demarcating crease; m, manual impression; p, pedal impression; r, expulsion rim. See Figure 19 for legend.

ujvp_a_1269539_f0028_oc.jpeg