An NFL boycott is looming

redrumloa

Reaction score
‘Boycott NFL’ sweeps internet because if ungrateful players can sit-out anthem, fans can sit-out games

Thursday night Denver Broncos player Brandon Marshall became the latest player to take knee during the anthem, and the first of the regular season. His protest came only hours after Seattle Seahawks players threatened a team-wide protest for their game on Sept. 11.

So let me get this straight. The NFL outright refuses to allow the Dallas Cowboys simple honoring of murdered police officers, but will allow an entire team to disrespect the country on the 15th anniversary of 9/11? I'm watching this closely as my Dolphins play these SeaChickens when they plan their "protest". If this is allowed and there are no ramifications from the NFL League office, I am done with the NFL after 44 years. I will not support a product that engages in social engineering.

metalman

Reaction score
I enjoy watching professional football.

Normally I ignore the first half of the season anyway, unless some team or player motivates me to watch a team
I rarely watch complete games until the playoffs anyway, just random highlight videos
the NFL refusing to allow the Cowboys to honor police officers killed in Dallas highly irritates me.

If the NFL is going to make itself politically controversial then I get to have my own political opinion on it.

then I will enjoy boycotting professional football.

JoBBo

Reaction score
Excellent news. Pro-sports must die. It is a time sink and waste of money and resources. Let it die and get on with something important instead.
"Entertainment" in its many forms does serve a meaningful purpose. However, I would agree that 13+ billion USD of annual revenue seems excessively high as do the salaries of many players and coaches. Plus, without the NFL and the widely shared dream (delusion?) of winning the sports lottery and getting a lucrative NFL deal, college football could not be nearly as exploitative as it is.

JoBBo

Reaction score
the NFL refusing to allow the Cowboys to honor police officers killed in Dallas highly irritates me.
The key issue seems to be how they planned to honor the police officers. If they too had simply taken a knee or perhaps saluted while the anthem was being played, there would not have been a controversy.

metalman

Reaction score
Why do they use their hands when it is called football?

because there is another game called soccer where you kick a ball and don't use your hands

that game is already boycotted by Americans

redrumloa

Reaction score

hi-res-b92dd4ec45afb51beaae046624359d9a_crop_north.jpg

185430152.jpg

redrumloa

Reaction score
The key issue seems to be how they planned to honor the police officers. If they too had simply taken a knee or perhaps saluted while the anthem was being played, there would not have been a controversy.

A small decal on their helmet is a problem? Happens all the time when someone close to the franchise dies, such as an iconic coach or franchise owner. 5 murdered and 12 injured officers aren't as important as an iconic coach who died due to natural causes?

Don't fool yourself, this is social engineering by the NFL.

redrumloa

Reaction score
A not so subtle response to what is going on in the NFL. Watch about 6 minutes from the starting point.

JoBBo

Reaction score
A small decal on their helmet is a problem? Happens all the time when someone close to the franchise dies, such as an iconic coach or franchise owner. 5 murdered and 12 injured officers aren't as important as an iconic coach who died due to natural causes?
The official NFL league rules are quite specific: "All such items approved by the League office, if any, must relate to team or League events or personages" (...) "The League will not grant permission for any club or player to wear, display, or otherwise convey messages, through helmet decals, arm bands, jersey patches, or other items affixed to game uniforms or equipment, which relate to political activities or causes, other non-football events, causes or campaigns, or charitable causes or campaigns. Further, any such approved items must be modest in size, tasteful, non-commercial, and non-controversial; must not be worn for more than one football season; and if approved for use by a specific team, must not be worn by players on other teams in the League."

Don't fool yourself, this is social engineering by the NFL.
No, it is not. See above.

Have you watched a NASCAR racer in his uniform? In many other sports, uniforms are covered with logos of corporate sponsors. Considering that the NFL has made a conscious decision to not even allow lucrative placements of sponsor logos on any uniforms, it seems perfectly consistent that they continue to ban the display of decals related to other non-football causes as well.

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
Rugby League Football (often just called rugby or familiarly as rugger)
American Football (called Aussie Rules or football or footy)
Canadian Football
Aussie Rules Football
Association Football (often just called football or footy or soccer - an abbreviated form of association)

redrumloa

Reaction score
So it has come to this, and my (former) team is the worst example. If you don't agree with a privileged 1%er, you are a racist.

‘It’s more important to create a healthy dialogue,’ Arian Foster said. ‘It’s easy for you to just sit here and say, “Shut up, you stupid (N-word)”

Boycott just exploded.

redrumloa

Reaction score
Monday night ratings down, again

According to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily, Monday night’s Eagles-Bears snooze-fest generated an overnight rating of 8.3. That’s an 11-percent drop from last year’s Week Two Monday night matchup between the Jets and the Colts, and it’s also the lowest Week Two Monday Night Football rating “since at least ’09, and likely further back.”

Robert

Reaction score
I enjoy watching professional football.

Likewise, although the version I watch is called soccer in your lingo.
I pay quite a lot of money each year to service my habit (mainly taken up with the cost of a season ticket for the local fitbaw team).
I still enjoy a kick about as well, which also costs me, although less than watching.

There is definite enjoyment to be had from watching those far better than I am, performing well at a sport that I love to play.

redrumloa

Reaction score
Monday night ratings down, again

According to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily, Monday night’s Eagles-Bears snooze-fest generated an overnight rating of 8.3. That’s an 11-percent drop from last year’s Week Two Monday night matchup between the Jets and the Colts, and it’s also the lowest Week Two Monday Night Football rating “since at least ’09, and likely further back.”

NFL Ratings Drop Faster Than Colin Kaepernick Hearing ‘The Star Spangled Banner’

But the elephant in the room—actually three Dolphins, a Bronco, and two 49ers—continue to be the competitors in America’s Game insulting America’s song. Fans do not watch because of a quarterback who does not play. No one likes uninvited guests coming into their living room to insult them.

Talking heads and NFL spin doctors do not care to own up to this. But Colin Kaepernick becoming the face of the NFL actually does more to harm the league’s bottom line than Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, or Aaron Hernandez did by dominating news cycles. The criminal behavior of a small percentage of football players occurs away from the stadium. Colin Kaepernick’s perfectly legal protest happens on an NFL field in an NFL uniform on NFL broadcasts.

America is a free country. A multimillionaire remains free to kneel during the national anthem. Joe Six Pack remains free to turn off the television.