Ample warning!

Me leaving was not rage-quitting. I've not put what was going on online since most platforms like Fakebook just mines it and shares widely. I'm even leery here, but this site and my profile is probably removed enough to not be giveaways. I don't want to write my autobiography here explaining, but it's not a one sentence thing.

I was not myself around that time. I wanted to remove myself from everything online that included direct interactions. Seemingly everything that could go bad at once was going bad at once. Everyone goes through those sort of things, but I was not quite in my right mind. I was barely functional just for work and home. Early June last year after talking with a close friend, he came over pulled his "little brother" card and dragged me to the ER. I was diagnosed with a rare small chronic (not acute) stroke. Long story short, I also hadn't been watching my numbers closely as a Type 2 Diabetic. I finally forced myself to start testing and the first test was around 540. Between those 2 medical issues, I guess I'm lucky to have been functional at all.

Things have improved since then, but many of the life stresses continued. My parents have been in sharp decline last 2 years and we just lost my mother last month on leap day. There are other stresses, but everyone losses loved ones and most deal with the other issues too.

That's long enough. I'm here and ready to give ya'll a hard time :lol:

First, I'm truly sorry for your loss. My mother passed over 20 years ago and while it no longer brings tears, it still feels like yesterday.

Secondly, welcome back. You've been missed. Meant to call many times, but life.. ya know?? I just hope all is well for you and the family (now much larger family than when you were in Alabama and that's great). Sometimes, you just have to take things day by day with an Irish viewpoint, and ignore all the rest..

Wayne

This site is about as low-key as it gets though. Just realized that a lot of the still-live threads on this forum were started by you -- in some cases, several years ago...

Me leaving was not rage-quitting. I've not put what was going on online since most platforms like Fakebook just mines it and shares widely. I'm even leery here, but this site and my profile is probably removed enough to not be giveaways. I don't want to write my autobiography here explaining, but it's not a one sentence thing.

I was not myself around that time. I wanted to remove myself from everything online that included direct interactions. Seemingly everything that could go bad at once was going bad at once. Everyone goes through those sort of things, but I was not quite in my right mind. I was barely functional just for work and home. Early June last year after talking with a close friend, he came over pulled his "little brother" card and dragged me to the ER. I was diagnosed with a rare small chronic (not acute) stroke. Long story short, I also hadn't been watching my numbers closely as a Type 2 Diabetic. I finally forced myself to start testing and the first test was around 540. Between those 2 medical issues, I guess I'm lucky to have been functional at all.

Things have improved since then, but many of the life stresses continued. My parents have been in sharp decline last 2 years and we just lost my mother last month on leap day. There are other stresses, but everyone losses loved ones and most deal with the other issues too.

That's long enough. I'm here and ready to give ya'll a hard time :lol:
Sorry to hear of things haven't been good.
Welcome back!

This site is about as low-key as it gets though. Just realized that a lot of the still-live threads on this forum were started by you -- in some cases, several years ago...
Yes, it's been pretty quiet in Jim's absence. And he's back just in time for election madness, so that should spice the place up a bit. :D

Thank you Wayne for the kind words. Angel and I wish we could have stayed up there in Alabama It just wasn't in the cards :confused: The family has indeed grown. My 2 grandkids are like my own kids in my heart and I'm blessed to have them in my life.

gks.jpg

Now if only one of my boys would give my some grandkids! :lol:

Thank you for the welcome back too Robert. Ah yes the upcoming farce of an election. I'm sure you know I have plenty to say about that :cool:

Sorry about your mother. I know how that is. My mother passed in 2020 (not infected, BTW, just 99 years old).
I try to live up to her standards. Fortunately, things have improved for me the last few years. I have several part time jobs, I've been able to save some money (the pandemic really messed up my savings), I'm feeling fine and helping other people which is always uplifting.

Sorry about your mother. I know how that is. My mother passed in 2020 (not infected, BTW, just 99 years old).
I try to live up to her standards. Fortunately, things have improved for me the last few years. I have several part time jobs, I've been able to save some money (the pandemic really messed up my savings), I'm feeling fine and helping other people which is always uplifting.

Thank you Cecilia. 99 is a pretty good age at least, but I know it's never easy. My mother was always respected and loved, but her passing has made a lot of us reflect how much of the people we are was due to her. In particular myself and my daughter have spoken on how many interests and personality leanings we have are directly due to her.

Some of my best memories with her now is about coming home from working graveyard shift at 18 for the short period I was still at home and we'd sit and watch cartoons together. Very often she'd make the best blueberry pancakes you could imagine, with uncut blueberries. It would be a mix of Looney Tunes and original Popeye shorts on one of the Cable channels. I don't think I've met a bigger (original) Popeye fan. She got me hooked. She was also a big Godzilla (Toho) fan to the end.

My kids got to spend a lot of summers with her. My grandkids, obviously her great grandkids, got enough time to have some memories. Especially my grandson.

:eek:What???? Red? The real Red?????:banana::banana::banana::banana::pint: You had us worried when you went:missing:
Good to see you again. Now I'm over my shock I'll go read what you've posted.

Thank you Cecilia. 99 is a pretty good age at least, but I know it's never easy. My mother was always respected and loved, but her passing has made a lot of us reflect how much of the people we are was due to her. In particular myself and my daughter have spoken on how many interests and personality leanings we have are directly due to her.
Anytime a parent or even grandparent dies one is forced to examine one's life and priorities. My dad died over 30 years ago. So I had to find myself thinking hard about that!

I owe basically everything to family and especially my Mother. I let my mother know often how much I appreciated her. During the last years of her life it probably was every other day at least. Aside from my brother I can't think of anyone with a more intense work ethic.

There really isn't anything more special than a mother's love. I'm very glad you had a good relationship with your mom.

Anytime a parent or even grandparent dies one is forced to examine one's life and priorities.

Indeed. Late last year my wife and I had committed to working towards moving closer to my folks to help take care of them, but thing spiraled too fast out of control with my mother for that to happen. We did visit A LOT, so we were around her at end at least. My father is still around and the plan is being fast tracked to move up there, probably in the same house as him in the coming few months.

:eek:What???? Red? The real Red?????:banana::banana::banana::banana::pint: You had us worried when you went:missing:

A wee bit over the top for this old curmudgeon, but I appreciate it :cool: I look forward to seeing your takes on many things again.

Good to see you back, Red! I am so sorry to hear about your mom. :(
I think she was really blessed with getting to know even her great grandkids.
I know the dark feelings, I have lost my father a couple of years ago.
I am very similar to my dad, and I was always hobbying around with computers together with my dad, and we also discussed a lot, and I miss that still today.

Good to see you back, Red! I am so sorry to hear about your mom. :(
I think she was really blessed with getting to know even her great grandkids.
I know the dark feelings, I have lost my father a couple of years ago.
I am very similar to my dad, and I was always hobbying around with computers together with my dad, and we also discussed a lot, and I miss that still today.

Apologies for the slow reply. I'm sorry for your loss. There really is nothing that can prepare someone for the death of a parent. In the back of your mind you know it will happen one day and in some cases like mine, the obvious plays out over a short-ish period of time. None of that matters, when it happens the grief is difficult and it is not linear. Would be nice if you could just have a big cry the day it happens and move on. Of course no, that's not how it works.

Back