11 trillion gallons of water

Robert

Reaction score
ANln1rnd
Yes, quite a season we're having so far:
Ophelia became a major hurricane where no storm had before
Forecasters marveled at the intensification of Ophelia on Saturday, as it reached Category 3 status on the Saffir-Simpson scale and became a major hurricane. For a storm in the Atlantic basin, this is the farthest east that a major hurricane has been recorded during the satellite era of observations. Additionally, it was the farthest north, at 35.9 degrees north, that an Atlantic major hurricane has existed this late in the year since 1939.
--
Ophelia is just the latest in a series of major hurricanes that have brought destruction or set records this year. Hurricane Harvey brought unprecedented flooding to the upper Texas coast, Hurricane Irma ravaged the Caribbean Islands and parts of Florida, and Hurricane Maria brought devesating rains and winds to Puerto Rico, where a majority of the island remains without power nearly a month after landfall.

Robert

Reaction score
Remnants of Ophelia hit Glasgow last night and did this* to my friends' flat, about half a mile from me:

*It basically finished off what had already started. My mates were already living in temporary accommodation pending repairs as there was subsidence (possibly due to old mine workings below). Doubt it'll be repaired now though. Not sure what their insurance situation is regarding storms.

-EDIT-
Just spoke to one of them. Turns out repairs were due to start in two weeks but will be going ahead immediately now, will cost more and he doesn't know if insurance will cover it as they're already in dispute with the insurers over the initial problem.

Last edited: